Skip to main content

Soaking In...

Same rules as last night: Status, Things to Pray For, Needs are toward the bottom of the post.

Otherwise, Life and how it's unfolding is right... here...  

Starting off a little differently tonight (and slightly earlier too).  When I set out to write this blog, it was really meant to inform everyone how Ashley's doing and the fact that the only reason we're even able to tell this story is because God has given us the opportunity.  That's still the primary intent, but I'm finding more and more that actually addressing how I'm feeling, what's going on behind the scenes and the overall experience of the situation at hand is helping me process.  And, according to so many of the messages I've been receiving it is helping others process too.  



"And so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him: bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; being strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy; giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light. He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins."

                                   Colossians 1:9-14

This blog reminds me of a time that I worked at a family camp (Pine Cove, if anyone was curious) in Texas where I was in charge of coordinating work crews to keep camp processes running smoothly.  It was one of the "get-to's" that I got to lead my core team in a time of Bible study.  We went through Colossians.  We memorized the passage above, and to this day, it is one of my favorites.  During that time at the camp, the first couple of weeks of the study was more superficial than not with a lot of 'Jesus' answers, and I was challenged by one of my teammates to stop holding back and press in with the Truth.  (Side note, the reasons the answers were superficial and I wasn't pressing in is because I didn't want Truth to create an awkward air or to generate conflict between what was easy and what was right; I essentially shirked back from the responsibility... that is what we call now-a-days as being irresponsible and a coward)  It turns out that when I actually put aside petty reasons for not delivering Truth and did it, The Lord returned to us the blessing of actual, intimate friendships that are still in tact today.  I don't know if I have ever told that story before, especially to the person who challenged me (and perhaps I should offer to that person now) but it stuck with me and God used that to develop some boldness.

Bluntly, this situation is hard.  Nothing on the surface of it is easy or fun.  How do I sit here and watch her struggle in that bed? How do I tell my wife that surgery was a bust?  Moreover, How do I tell her what surgery being a bust really means as far as outcomes, treatments and prognosis? This is scary, uncomfortable and I won't lie... I have no clue what to do.

Cue the passage above.  A friend of mine texted the latter half of this passage to me today and it prompted some of these memories.  (Scripture is so powerful like that.  It molds and shapes and reworks parts of our lives that are raw and messy while still being tender to bring comfort and hope)  Really soaking in this passage this afternoon has settled my otherwise frantic heart.  If I use Tuesday as the start date for so many people reading and praying for my wife and I count that as the "And so, from the day we heard..." I really believe that most everything that Paul lists off in the rest of the verse has been prayed over my family.  There is so much hope in that.  For complete strangers to the most intimate of friends leaning in and interceding on our behalf is nothing short of a modern-day miracle.  God's provision for us during such a tough time is you.

Today's Events: 
  • Ashley rested fairly well last night and they kept working her off of one of the sedatives.  She became more and more agitated as we weaned off.  Let's be honest here, no one likes having a tube shoved down their throat... thus the source of frustration for her.
  • Ashley's mom and sister spent the morning with her as I stepped away for a few hours to see our girls off to school and get some sleep at the house.
  • I did not get sleep at the house. (Ok, not entirely accurate... I was there, in the bed, with my eyes closed, but my brain was dancing a jig so I don't know how much quality rest I got)
  • They worked her off of her sedatives at one point and were able to elicit a few hand squeezes and attention getters at her.
  • She became really agitated again and had to go back on one of the sedatives.
  • Toward the end of the evening we were able to actually communicate with her.  She was able to open her eyes, nod her head and squeeze our hands.  (I felt really good about heading out when the shift change occurred)
  • Once back in here and about 2 hours ago, she started to struggle.  Frustration, pain, nausea? I don't know but she was fighting a lot of everything that was happening around her.  She couldn't settle down.  Eventually she had to get some narcotics and bump the sedative back up some.
  • During that time, her EEG was going bananas and I'm hoping that it wasn't telling us that she was having a seizure.  She definitely had some tremors, but I guess we'll wait on the Neurologists to interpret and report later.  (Side note: I think I could be a good doctor, except for, you know, making the grades and all of that... but finding patterns, learning the processes and memory recall : check)
Things to Pray For:
  • Ashley to rest
  • Ashley's scans to be as good as they can (EEG and CT Scan that she'll have in about 4 hours from now)
  • Wisdom in how to start to talk about all that lies in front of us
  • Fatigue to go away... I know this is a marathon, but I'm already exhausted and I know she has to be even more so
  • Continuing to stave off infection
  • That the medical staff would continue to exercise care and work toward getting Ashley in the best shape she can be in
  • For my mental game, I'm starting to lose control on the 'what-if' game (Aside: This process has started to hammer home that God is the source of all things good and when He says not to worry about tomorrow, He means it.  Funny how when we actually do what Scripture says things tend to go more smoothly and much less to our detriment)
Special Note:  The overwhelming outpouring of support by everyone has been nothing short of incredible. (How many adverbs/adjectives can I use?)  Please know that there will be needs, I'm sure of it.  Please know we will not be able to handle any of this alone.  I know that many of you are chomping at the bit to physically provide in some way and I can almost promise that, that time is coming.  For right now, we don't have financial needs, we aren't lacking food to eat and our girls are taken care of.  The tables are always shifting and the needs ever changing.  I PROMISE that when those needs arise, I WILL make them known.  For now, our biggest, most pressing need is intercession on our behalf to our Father who brings peace to his people.  


Thanks for taking the time to read.  These posts may start to slow down for the fact that my attention is shifting focus to Ashley as she starts to (Lord Willing) become more alert and responsive.  I'll still use this as a milestone marker, but no need to post for the sake of posting and create "Blog-Apathy".
Thank you for your continued commentary, I read every one and they bring such an encouragement to my heart right now and I need as much of that as I can get.


Comments

  1. Hi, David. You don't know me, but a friend shared your blog and I've been praying for you and Ashley this week. My father was diagnosed with glioblastoma in 2014, and we've learned a lot about the disease and treatment options since then. I'm not sure how able you guys are to travel, but I would highly suggest looking into the treatments being tested at the Duke University Medical Center. They have an excellent and highly promising trial involving the polio vaccine. They are "the" place to be for this kind of cancer, and have had a lot of success treating it. The polio trial only accepts you after you've failed one conventional treatment first, but some family friends had great success going their for their initial treatment and then later being accepted into the polio trial. That friend is closing in on 10 years in remission now. I encourage you to reach out to others with this diagnosis, as it can provide a wealth of information that is often not conveyed by doctors at local hospitals. Continued prayers and love coming your way.

    https://jessicaoldwyn.blogspot.com/2015/06/how-to-get-into-duke-polio-virus.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending prayers and interceding to the Father for you both

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear David,
    I've been in for you as you prepare to tell Ashley about her surgery. Praying for God to prepare and protect her heart as only He can so lovingly do. Reading your blog reminded me of the verse that says - The joy of the Lord is my strength - since this is Truth, I'm asking the Joy Giver to replace all your bone-tired parts of your mind, body, and soul with joy. You and Ashley will not be allowed to feel rendered helpless to move forward in Ashley's treatment. God will faithfully provide answers in knowing the best decisions to make. I'm completely trusting God for you both to find strength in that safe, secret place under the shadow of the Almighty.

    Trusting In Him Completely,

    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your posts were shared by a friend.. Thank you for being so crystal and continually pointing to the Author and Perfector of our faith. What a testimony you already have, and can't wait to see how much more Abba moves in you and your family's life. I go down the list and pray for each bullet point. May the Lord continue to be gracious to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As my dad always said... "Keep looking' up...!! Continuing to pray... Smitty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending prayers. Kim Tatman, Arkadelphia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your posts have been shared by a friend, but now, because you are being so truthful and transparent, I feel like I know you both...and I'm praying for you, as I would for a family member. May the Lord continue to sustain you, as he walks this out with you, one step at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi David! My first cousin, Brandon Atkins, shared your blog and that is how I have found your page. I’m so sorry to hear all of this news. Your wife is so beautiful!
    My father-in-law has been undergoing treatment for glioblastoma over the last 3 years, and just had a second brain surgery at UAB a month ago. You will find the community of those affected by this disease is tight-knit. I hope you find comfort in knowing that you are not alone. I pray you feel the love of God strongly during this new journey, and feel the peace that passes all understanding. There is hope. God bless you and your family. You are in my prayers. - Amber Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying for your wife, you, your daughters, your family, the nurses, the doctors; for wisdom, strength, courage, perseverance, peace. Believing that His Holy Spirit is with each and every one of you and that His Glory be proclaimed, come what may.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have read your story through Emily Davis. My heart aches for you, your girls and family! Your strength through this time is such a wonderful testament!! Glorifying His name is exactly what you are doing! Praying fervently!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found your blog shared by a mutual BCM friend and I will be following along to pray with and for your family. God is using this for His glory, have no doubt. There are aspects of His love and character that we can only know when we walk by faith through suffering, and He is worth it, as you already know and bear witness to. Rest in Him when you grow weary. We are here holding your arms up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Know we are praying for you here in Texas. My home church in Georgia posted and then a friend here in Texas who knows your mother-in-law. And ...my daughter is working at Pine Cove! So many reminders to lift you up before the throne of Grace. I am praying specifically for your rest. Thanks so much for sharing. You have strengthened my faith over much less serious circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  13. David, you don't know me, but I heard about your blog through a facebook friend. Praying for you, Ashley, and your family.

    In Christ, Julie Wangsgard

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have shared your blog with my FB friends so they can pray!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Praying for you all from Prosper, TX.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Here We Are

I've tried to sit down and write this post about three times.  Every time I make it about a solid paragraph in and I scrap it to start over.  The first pass was already going to be really long winded and detailed.  The second was a little better, but opened the door for about a million rabbit trails to take. I think I've settled on the following for both time and posterity; back to a stream of consciousness brain dump... at least you know you're getting the freshest content. :) Ash was a gentle (most of the time :) ), compassionate heartbeat.  She had this unwavering focus to point others to Jesus.  She loved deeply  and had this ability to meet anyone where they were and pull them in.  She knew me better than anyone and (even in spite of that :) ), she loved me.  She was a tender-hearted mother that loved her girls more than most anything else.  She was passionate for caring for children (summers in other countries working in orphanages, working preschool ministry, her car

Merciful Rest

Today. May 14, 2022. A day that'll be etched into my memory for the rest of my life. It's the day my wife died. It's the day that holds moments that hurt worse than anything I've felt before. It's also the day that has brought some of the greatest episodes of hope I've ever seen. The past 72 hours have been some of the most rigorous as a caretaker.  These day have reminded me so very much of where we began this journey four and a half years ago in the ICU at UAB after her surgery, though, with one major difference... during those days I prayed earnestly for my wife to be saved and to recover.  These past few days have been filled with nothing but prayers of thankfulness and for mercy. I didn't sleep Thursday into Friday.  Ash required medications every hour and she was already showing signs of getting ready to leave her earthly body.  So aside from 15 minutes here and 20 minutes there... I embraced my former collegiate life and pulled an all-nighter. (Defini

Unexpectedly Expected

Good Evening- **Disclaimer: I'm an engineer.  I'm not a writer.  I did not major in English.  I prefer a mix of stream of consciousness and storytelling  as opposed to a formal MLA style paper.  If that really bothers you, I'm sorry and you will struggle through my posts.** Originally, I thought this would be the best medium to distribute information about the journey we are on.  I was wrong.  Even though it seems the sporadic updates I've gotten today have felt fewer and farther between than I would have liked, it all really came at a speed that was too fast to distribute through this blog. So, I imagine going forward this may be used as a milestone platform.  There will be honest, blunt communication of what's going on.  There will also be some behind-the-scenes analysis of everything.  I can't promise these will be short posts, but I can promise they'll be real and they'll be raw. So, let's start with today.  October 24, 2017 .  A