Skip to main content

Dependence

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Now, I've been slacking in the blog post department (as I didn't post once during the entire month of December).  We had such a great time celebrating Immanuel (God With Us) with our family!  To take a step back and see that God sent Jesus to be amongst us is nothing short of breath taking; but then, to realize why God had to send Jesus at all is a brilliant reminder that we are ever in need of a Savior.  I am thankful that we place such an emphasis on celebrating this season every year; even in a world that doesn't seem to go flying toward the Cross, it is nice to see Jesus being worshipped amidst our culture.  The butterflies that were there as a kid yearning for the next 'big present' have been replaced with the awe of Jesus being the ultimate gift.  This was such a needed season for our family and I'm thankful that God kept us safe and together during this time.


Ashley and I would like to take a minute to thank you.  We are so grateful to those who have reached out to us during this season.  To those of you who have spent your mornings or afternoons visiting with us, to those who selflessly bought and provided gifts for us and our girls for Christmas, to those who have brought meals, to those who have watched our girls, to those who have encouraged us and to those who have continually prayed/interceded for us... THANK YOU

Not really knowing what this Christmas season was going to look like amidst all of the changes our family has gone through in the past few months, I really didn't know what to expect or even how to get everything done.  But, because of you all surrounding us and continuing to spur us on... we had a great opportunity to show and tell about Jesus to our girls.  YOU have been such an encouragement to my family, and we are truly thankful and humbled by your generosity.


It's funny; in different periods of life there are certain words or phrases that continue to pop up and make themselves prevalent.  As we break into a new season and a new stage of this treatment, I'm starting to see a word creep its way into the forefront of everyday happenings.  Dependence. ...something I'm really terrible at.  I don't have a good grasp on this word, and I'll be the first to admit it.  This word, more importantly, this action is an important attitude that is most assuredly going to flesh itself out as we move forward as a family.  I tend to want to handle my own business and don't like when I inconvenience others; but, this mentality is in stark contrast to how the church is commanded to act.  I fail at passing on burdens to be shouldered by others.  I naturally retreat when the going gets tough so that I can handle what's coming my way.  I don't know whether it's guilt, pride, apathy... but it's certainly going to be an area of growth in this next season.  It has to be.

Anyways, Forward We Go...

Our family ushered in a new year last night with so much style and fervor that Times Square would have been jealous had they known what we were up to we were in bed and asleep by 10:00pm!  It wasn't without a little fanfare though, I mean, after all, we did have sparkling grape juice and watched a couple of Netflix countdowns (even after the kids were asleep). 

All of that being said though, last night prompted some moments of reflection.  First off, a huge milestone was reached the night before.  During this treatment phase, there are 42 doses of chemotherapy and 33 rounds of radiation.  Though we still have two weeks of radiation remaining, we finished the 42nd dose of chemo on Saturday (12/30/17) night!!  There was nothing ultra-flashy about that moment, but it was met with a refreshing feeling that we've made it to a milestone.  The sobering reality that we are in a tough battle here was quelled with the fact that we have landed a solid blow on the chin of the giant.


How's Ashley doing?  Great question, I'm glad you asked.  That's probably why you're here in the first place. She is "exhausted" and "this treatment process leaves [her] where [she] has almost nothing left".  I'll second her statement from above.  I don't think I realized how fatigued and worn out she'd be, but then again I guess when you irradiate anything exhaustion is the natural byproduct. She's taken a lot of refuge in Philippians 4:19 lately.  Here it is (so you don't have to go look it up):

And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.

Truth resonates so much more when its applied. Truth penetrates deeper when its received from a place of brokenness.  This treatment process is physically breaking Ashley down, but oh how sweet it is to see Jesus carrying her through this.  It's hard, as her husband, to watch her struggle for the energy or have difficulty finding the right words to speak.  However, the harder it gets the more God pours His grace on us and the more we learn to depend (there's that word again) on Him.  He is faithful to provide and he truly supplies every need. Praise Jesus.  He is SO GOOD.

From here, we should finish radiation on the 12th of January.  We'll take a break for a few weeks before moving into the next phase, and in that time, we will enjoy the welcomed 'rest' from a treatment regimen.

One of the original reasons I created this blog was to inform about Ashley's journey along with my thoughts of the process.  Another reason [and more importantly] was to make much of God and little of us (John 3:30) in this process.  As we break into a new year, I hope you take advantage of every opportunity to grow closer to Jesus.  Surround yourself with those who are upright and run from those who would embrace evil (1 Peter 3:12, Psalm 1).  Don't waste any more time on things that are fruitless, but yearn after our Creator.  Let this be the start of a year where you call upon the Lord for everything and in Him you put all of your chips.  I know this is our (Ashley and I) plea to Jesus for ourselves as we start this year and we want that for everyone we come in contact with.


Thank you for spending your precious time following our journey.  We are so grateful for you.

Onward we press...

Comments

  1. May God continue to bless you all in this New Year. May He use your circumstances to light the way to Jesus for someone you encounter. And may He heal Ashley in a miraculous fashion so that the world must acknowledge Him and His love - God be praised! In Jesus' name I pray these things, amen.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Here We Are

I've tried to sit down and write this post about three times.  Every time I make it about a solid paragraph in and I scrap it to start over.  The first pass was already going to be really long winded and detailed.  The second was a little better, but opened the door for about a million rabbit trails to take. I think I've settled on the following for both time and posterity; back to a stream of consciousness brain dump... at least you know you're getting the freshest content. :) Ash was a gentle (most of the time :) ), compassionate heartbeat.  She had this unwavering focus to point others to Jesus.  She loved deeply  and had this ability to meet anyone where they were and pull them in.  She knew me better than anyone and (even in spite of that :) ), she loved me.  She was a tender-hearted mother that loved her girls more than most anything else.  She was passionate for caring for children (summers in other countries working in orphanages, working preschool ministry, her car

Merciful Rest

Today. May 14, 2022. A day that'll be etched into my memory for the rest of my life. It's the day my wife died. It's the day that holds moments that hurt worse than anything I've felt before. It's also the day that has brought some of the greatest episodes of hope I've ever seen. The past 72 hours have been some of the most rigorous as a caretaker.  These day have reminded me so very much of where we began this journey four and a half years ago in the ICU at UAB after her surgery, though, with one major difference... during those days I prayed earnestly for my wife to be saved and to recover.  These past few days have been filled with nothing but prayers of thankfulness and for mercy. I didn't sleep Thursday into Friday.  Ash required medications every hour and she was already showing signs of getting ready to leave her earthly body.  So aside from 15 minutes here and 20 minutes there... I embraced my former collegiate life and pulled an all-nighter. (Defini

The Edge of the Precipice

It's been several weeks since I've actually published an update on Ashley.  The truth is, I had written an entire update nearl y two weeks ago, but I hadn't fully proofed it and the daily grind got in the way of actually getting it pushed out.  If you'd have seen the update then, you'd know that two weeks ago we were starting to decline even further.   Actually, I'll just copy and paste a large chunk of what I had written for some insight into how life has been recently: It's hard to know what is worthwhile to share and what are the minor nuances of the day to day that are likely just use as caretakers being extra sensitive to. The general idea, though, is that Ash is declining.  If you look at it week over week, we are noticeably further along the path than we were. If you want some candor, this part of the journey is absolutely the worst (to date).  Originally, there was something so raw about the initial diagnosis that it was a tough few days/weeks to pro