Skip to main content

Reflections


There are moments in history that change the course of life.  A year ago today was one of those moments.
Realizing that we haven't updated the blog in a while, we thought that this would be a perfect time to jump back into the fray. No doubt that I'll have a pretty lengthy write up soon to recap some of my thoughts, lessons learned, current struggles, recent victories, etc. but I thought it appropriate to ask Ash to give me a write up to commemorate the day (especially given that this time last year, the last thing I ever thought she'd be doing was writing a blog post).  Below is her letter.  Thanks for reading it. I hope you'll take a minute to reflect on your past year and that you'll see how God has worked in and through you and those around you to bring you where you are today.
To recap on last year's surgery day post: Go Here (Unexpectedly Expected)
Struggles and trials are often presented to us as things we need to avoid or minimize as much as possible, but that paradigm is absolutely contrary to what scripture calls us to embrace.  Rejoice Always, consider it pure joy, don't be surprised... the list goes on.  Let us press onward to look more like Jesus in every aspect of our lives.  A lot of that refinement and 'looking like Jesus' is accomplished through these great, God-Ordained trials... May we be thankful that God loves us enough to put us through these struggles.
==========
October 24, 2017.
I can’t believe it has been a full year.
I’m crying just thinking back on all that this past year has entailed.
I have written, erased and re-written this post many times. It’s been hard, emotional and tiring to try and summarize my thoughts. This has been a year of long suffering, but I wouldn’t change it. Honestly, I really wouldn’t change it. This has been such a season of growth and depth in my relationship with God. James definitely spoke truth when he said,
Consider it a great joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you experience various trials, because you know that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its full effect, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking nothing.”
-James 1:2-4
Joy, right? Most of the immediate days after chemo I can’t get out of bed. Joy? Not being able to play with my girls all day because of sickness/fatigue/seizures. Joy? Watching my husband carry a huge load on his shoulders, and I’m not able to help more. Joy? I’m mentally and physically tired. Joy? Being isolated in my house for most of the days, week after week. Joy, huh?
The list of things that are counter intuitive to joy is long. But that list is only noticeable is when I am focused inwardly. When my eyes are looking only here, the anxiety grows. His word speaks directly to this. It was written so long ago. But He knew we needed verses like this. To encourage us, to command us, LOOK UP!
“I lift my eyes toward the mountains.
Where will my help come from?
 My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of heaven and earth.

He will not allow your foot to slip;
your Protector will not slumber.”
-Psalm 121:1-3
Cancer and the treatments are acute reminders that my days are numbered. My body is forever sick. This disease has damaged my body. If I let my thoughts go unchecked, I can slip into a panic forgetting that God’s presence is right alongside me. Oh, how He is good! He is near! My JOY and HOPE are deeply rooted in Christ’s love for me. My comfort is not found in my outcome, not my genetics, not by the statistics.
Jesus is my redeemer and my firm foundation.
“He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.”
-Psalm 40:2
“Yet I call this to mind,
and therefore I have hope:
Because of the Lord’s faithful love
we do not perish,
for his mercies never end.
They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness!
 I say, ‘The Lord is my portion,
therefore I will put my hope in him.’
The Lord is good to those who wait for him,
to the person who seeks him.”
-Lamentations 3:21-25
In the craziness of this past year, I’ve come to know, learn and love God as being Omniscient. Don’t ask me to pronounce it or even how to spell it… because I will surely fail at both. But, it means that God is all knowing.
It has been a confusing journey. Everything from trying to get an actual diagnosis, surgery going different than expected (understatement), still figuring out the difference of what a seizure looks like compared to brain fatigue, and managing the right medicine cocktail for my body. There are a lot of questions and still plenty of unknown answers. I have the BEST neurology/oncology team; I cannot express how thankful I am that God has provided such a great team for me. They are wonderful! God uses them to perform healing works under His hand. My doctors have studied my images so many times that I’ve often wondered how their eyes haven’t popped out. But, no matter how many doctors they consult with or other institutions from around the nation they send my scans to… even the best of the best can’t understand my brain like God does.
PRAISE BE TO GOD, FOR HE KNOWS ALL THINGS. No detail escapes Him. Nothing takes Him by surprise. Sometimes I am so thirsty for answers (how long will this course of treatment be effective, will I get to drive again, will I get to practice physical therapy again, am I going to get to watch my girls grow up, will there ever be a cure?) that I far to often forget that God is Omniscient. I have to trust him. And when I truly trust God (as in actually yielding trust in myself or my situation), I find great comfort in knowing that the doctors don’t have all the answers. They are great, but He is greater.
“For it was you who created my inward parts;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
 I will praise you because I have been remarkably and wondrously made.
Your works are wondrous, and I know this very well.
My bones were not hidden from you when I was made in secret, when I was formed in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes saw me when I was formless;
all my days were written in your book and planned before a single one of them began.”
-Psalm 139:13-16
God knit me together in my mother’s womb where He knew my every cell and every fiber. God sustains me now where He knows my every cell and every fiber. My tumor, diagnosis and prognosis surprised David and I. Knocked us off our feet even, but here we are standing… Standing stronger. Standing surer. Not standing because we know what’s next or what we’re about to face, but standing with great faith that God knows everything and it’s by His strength that we are held together.
He is trustworthy… and I will stand firm knowing that this trial, this suffering has and continues to draw me nearer to Him.
“For as heaven is higher than earth, so my ways are higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.”
-Isaiah 59:9
In Christ,
Ashley Huffstutler

Comments

  1. You don't know me, but I have been following this blog since almost day one. I *think* I saw your story on a website, or on the news....I don't remember. I followed because the story y'all are so willing to share with others is a sweet testimony of the work the Lord is doing in you and in your family.

    My mother, seven years ago the 25th, was fine one minute, outside, doing normal things. During breakfast she went to take a shower, and was calling for help just a couple minutes later. My sister and I watched her as she curled up on her bed and just kinda quit breathing. We obviously called EMS, and they left in ambulance with all of us kids (8 of us!) standing there, wondering if we would ever see mama alive again. She was 24 weeks pregnant, and our father was in another state on a work related trip.

    An AVM had ruptured, and they ended up doing brain surgery simultaneously with a c-section. My baby sister was in NICU 97 days, and my mother had a total of two surgeries and about 3 weeks in the hospital. It was a crazy time, but while everything was falling apart around us, and while we were wondering who would still be alive in a year, we were flled with a peace. A peace and hope and joy that could ONLY come from the author and finished of our faith. It was as if the Lord was carrying is through each day, avoiding the potholes of fears and the detours of what-ifs.

    We did find peace in knowing that God is omniscient. He knew what would happen and had it all under control, even when everything was falling apart in catastrophic ways. One song that meant a lot to us as a family was "Draw Me Ever Nearer" by Keith and Kristyn Getty. The chorus says: "May this journey bring a blessing // May I rise on wings of faith // And at the end of my hearts testing // With your likeness let me wake."

    We are still praying for you and your precious family.

    May Jesus Christ be praised!
    Kaitlyn S.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Here We Are

I've tried to sit down and write this post about three times.  Every time I make it about a solid paragraph in and I scrap it to start over.  The first pass was already going to be really long winded and detailed.  The second was a little better, but opened the door for about a million rabbit trails to take. I think I've settled on the following for both time and posterity; back to a stream of consciousness brain dump... at least you know you're getting the freshest content. :) Ash was a gentle (most of the time :) ), compassionate heartbeat.  She had this unwavering focus to point others to Jesus.  She loved deeply  and had this ability to meet anyone where they were and pull them in.  She knew me better than anyone and (even in spite of that :) ), she loved me.  She was a tender-hearted mother that loved her girls more than most anything else.  She was passionate for caring for children (summers in other countries working in orphanages, working preschool ministry, her car

Merciful Rest

Today. May 14, 2022. A day that'll be etched into my memory for the rest of my life. It's the day my wife died. It's the day that holds moments that hurt worse than anything I've felt before. It's also the day that has brought some of the greatest episodes of hope I've ever seen. The past 72 hours have been some of the most rigorous as a caretaker.  These day have reminded me so very much of where we began this journey four and a half years ago in the ICU at UAB after her surgery, though, with one major difference... during those days I prayed earnestly for my wife to be saved and to recover.  These past few days have been filled with nothing but prayers of thankfulness and for mercy. I didn't sleep Thursday into Friday.  Ash required medications every hour and she was already showing signs of getting ready to leave her earthly body.  So aside from 15 minutes here and 20 minutes there... I embraced my former collegiate life and pulled an all-nighter. (Defini

Unexpectedly Expected

Good Evening- **Disclaimer: I'm an engineer.  I'm not a writer.  I did not major in English.  I prefer a mix of stream of consciousness and storytelling  as opposed to a formal MLA style paper.  If that really bothers you, I'm sorry and you will struggle through my posts.** Originally, I thought this would be the best medium to distribute information about the journey we are on.  I was wrong.  Even though it seems the sporadic updates I've gotten today have felt fewer and farther between than I would have liked, it all really came at a speed that was too fast to distribute through this blog. So, I imagine going forward this may be used as a milestone platform.  There will be honest, blunt communication of what's going on.  There will also be some behind-the-scenes analysis of everything.  I can't promise these will be short posts, but I can promise they'll be real and they'll be raw. So, let's start with today.  October 24, 2017 .  A