Skip to main content

Sweet Moments

As part of this journey, Ashley has been spending some time writing and is wanting to update the blog more frequently.  So, she'll be taking the reigns for the foreseeable posts.

==========

I had the sweetest moment in my last round of chemotherapy <3

Let's take a minute to pause and reflect on the fact that I have officially completed round NINE!!

It wasn't easy, it wasn't fun, I've got the bruises to prove it... but round nine is done!!

'You are to fear the Lord your God and worship him.  Remain faithful to him and take oaths in his name.  He is your praise and he is your God, who has done for you these great and awe-inspiring works for your eyes have seen.'  -Deut. 10:20-21
David and I are always truthful with our girls about my health.  The baby is sweetly oblivious (as she should be for a 1.5 year old) about my diagnosis.  But, sometimes, when I'm really struggling, I feel this little tiny person come up from behind me and give me a hug.  So, she doesn't know about brain cancer but she knows about compassion.

Our oldest is making more observations... and as any 3.5 year old should, she LOVES asking questions.  If I've heard 'Why?' once, I've heard it 100 times.  Some of my other favorites: "Is God's heart blue?  Does bread make me grow? Do I live on Earth? Are there dinosaurs at the beach?"

When we talk to her about my cancer, we try to use words that she would understand.  'I have a spot in my head' (as opposed to tumor) or 'I've got to take extra medicine this week' (as opposed to saying chemotherapy).  'All the blinking light toys have to stay in your room...' (as opposed to Mommy has epilepsy and those toys can cause a seizure)... So forth and so on.

One night during this last round of chemo, I was feeling well enough to put our oldest into bed.  Normally, we would read a book but she asked if we could look at pictures on my phone instead (most of which are her being super silly).  As we flipped through the pictures, she swiped her little finger across the screen and there was a picture of me at the infusion clinic (getting some fluids/nausea meds).  It wasn't a picture that I meant to show her, but here we were...

"Mommy, are you hurt?" --- Blinking back tears, I quickly told her something to ease her fears.  But I started feeling anxious.  I barely addressed her question.  I didn't know what to say.  Then I saw a verse she had memorized on her wall... it's a paraphrase (or the song version) of Phil. 4:6.

'Don't worry about anything, instead pray about everything.  Tell God what you need and thank Him for all He's done.'   -Phil. 4:6 
We read the verse together.  I asked her if she was sitting in front of God and could ask him for anything, what would she ask for... She took a very LONG minute to think about it!  I mean, she really thought hard about it.  Then, she said she wanted to ask God if she could play outside in the rain one day.  Isn't it amazing how simple, sweet and innocent a child's heart/mind can be at times?  I mean... don't let me mislead you, she needs Christ and it's only through His blood that purity in heart is found, but the common innocence of not being influenced by anything to come up with her answer is what I'm talking about.

After we talked through that we prayed.  Our usual prayer at night goes something similar to this: "Dear God, thank you for daddy, mommy, and my sister.  Thank you for our friends.  Thank you for our teachers and those that invest in us.  Thank you for the blessings you provide and the opportunities you give us to make you bigger.  Thank you for the food you give us.  Please give us a good night's rest.  Amen!"

That night, we held hands like normal (somehow I wound up holding catboy's hand and she held the other as we created a small circle of hands holding).  I prayed, "God, Thank you for today.  Someone needs to ask you something."  My daughter opened her eyes, looked up at me and closed her eyes back and said, "God, I want to play outside in the rain."  As we finished praying it went like this, "God, please heal the spot in my head.  Thank you for hearing us.  Thank you that we can pray big and small prayers to you and you hear them all."  Two nights later, it rained!  It rained HARD!  It was COLD and dark outside.  We were in the middle of the bedtime routine, but God provided rain.  So, we stopped everything, got dressed up warm and put on jackets and we outside to play in the rain!!
Afterwards, I was able to talk to her about how God listens and hears our prayers.  He may not answer the way we want, but he listens.

'Because he bends down to listen, I will pray as long as I have breath!'  -Ps. 116:2

Whatever season of life you are in, I hope you truly know that God listens when you call out to Him.  And, as a mother, I pray that every time my daughter dances in the rain it will remind her of those moments and that God is faithful, trustworthy and true.

Comments

  1. praying for you and your family..... the strength you and David have displayed through this part of your life is truly inspirational and your testimony to God's love for us is always evident.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL AND HEARTWARMING POSTS i HAVE SEEN IN A LONG TIME! YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION AND OUR PRAYER TEAM ALL OVER THE COUNTRY IS PRAYING FOR YOU! GOD HAS A MUCH BIGGER PLAN THAN WE CAN EVEN IMAGINE OR HOPE FOR BUT I CAN TELL YOU, YOUR CHILDREN ARE BLESSED WITH AMAZING PARENTS!!!! MUCH LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness. What a wonderful, faithful, loving and miraculous God we serve. May God continue to strengthen and bless your family. Healing is your answer from God and he will forever get the glory. By his stripes you were healed. You are a beautiful soul as well as your husband and those two beautiful angels of yours. Stay strong! You are definitely a light in a dark place❤

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Here We Are

I've tried to sit down and write this post about three times.  Every time I make it about a solid paragraph in and I scrap it to start over.  The first pass was already going to be really long winded and detailed.  The second was a little better, but opened the door for about a million rabbit trails to take. I think I've settled on the following for both time and posterity; back to a stream of consciousness brain dump... at least you know you're getting the freshest content. :) Ash was a gentle (most of the time :) ), compassionate heartbeat.  She had this unwavering focus to point others to Jesus.  She loved deeply  and had this ability to meet anyone where they were and pull them in.  She knew me better than anyone and (even in spite of that :) ), she loved me.  She was a tender-hearted mother that loved her girls more than most anything else.  She was passionate for caring for children (summers in other countries working in orphanages, working preschool ministry, her car

Merciful Rest

Today. May 14, 2022. A day that'll be etched into my memory for the rest of my life. It's the day my wife died. It's the day that holds moments that hurt worse than anything I've felt before. It's also the day that has brought some of the greatest episodes of hope I've ever seen. The past 72 hours have been some of the most rigorous as a caretaker.  These day have reminded me so very much of where we began this journey four and a half years ago in the ICU at UAB after her surgery, though, with one major difference... during those days I prayed earnestly for my wife to be saved and to recover.  These past few days have been filled with nothing but prayers of thankfulness and for mercy. I didn't sleep Thursday into Friday.  Ash required medications every hour and she was already showing signs of getting ready to leave her earthly body.  So aside from 15 minutes here and 20 minutes there... I embraced my former collegiate life and pulled an all-nighter. (Defini

Unexpectedly Expected

Good Evening- **Disclaimer: I'm an engineer.  I'm not a writer.  I did not major in English.  I prefer a mix of stream of consciousness and storytelling  as opposed to a formal MLA style paper.  If that really bothers you, I'm sorry and you will struggle through my posts.** Originally, I thought this would be the best medium to distribute information about the journey we are on.  I was wrong.  Even though it seems the sporadic updates I've gotten today have felt fewer and farther between than I would have liked, it all really came at a speed that was too fast to distribute through this blog. So, I imagine going forward this may be used as a milestone platform.  There will be honest, blunt communication of what's going on.  There will also be some behind-the-scenes analysis of everything.  I can't promise these will be short posts, but I can promise they'll be real and they'll be raw. So, let's start with today.  October 24, 2017 .  A