Skip to main content

Hope Reminded

O Holy Night!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
God sustained me through round 10 of chemotherapy last month.  10 down and only 2 more to go!!  Round 10 was definitely brutal, but God carried me through each hour and every minute of those long days.

"God, the Lord, is my strength;
     he makes my feet like the deer's;
     he makes me tread on my high places."
-Habakkuk 3:9

This year Christmas was so sweet.  It was simple, but it was purposeful!

Last year... I was physically and emotionally hanging on by a thread.  My surgery was only a few weeks prior to the Christmas season.  My heart was weary.  My body was tired, and I was acutely aware of my prognosis.  To help get into the holiday spirit, I went to Target (because, of course) and looked for new stockings with everyone's initials on them.  I found two "D's" for my husband and my youngest, an "E" for my oldest and then when I went to find an "A" for me; I realized our initials spelled DEAD.  I'm sorry, What?!?!  How did we miss that when we were naming our kids!?  I started to have an actual panic attack and couldn't get out of the store quick enough.

This year, I was prepared!  Our stockings have our full names on them.  All is well.
I really love Christmas!  This year was a gift.  While I still struggled with the sadness of my diagnosis at times, God's hope overcame it all.  Abounding joy was greater than any and every moment of despair.  I hope you love Christmas as much as I do and see it for the wonderful season that it is.  However, if you have the tiniest bit of heartache or an ocean full of sorrow, let me take a minute to remind you of the beauty of Christmas (the beauty that I have to remind myself of from time to time).

Jesus came to Earth for God's Glory and His love for us.  It is because of Jesus that you and I have a way to be righteous before God.  Jesus is my SAVIOR and His name is perfect!  I love being reminded of that over and over again. Jesus, my Savior, came and He WILL come again. 
Oh what a precious truth to cling to!
I would like to say that I can sing through Oh Holy Night without a teary eye, but for the sake of my integrity (and for anyone who knows me well)... I love this song and it makes me cry. Every. Single. Time.

"Oh Holy Night"

Oh Holy Night, the stars are brightly shining
It is the night of our dear Savior's birth
Long lay the world in sin and error pining
Till He appeared and the soul felt its worth

A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn'
Fall on your knees
O hear the angels' voices
O night divine
O night when Christ was born
O night divine o night
O night divine

This line stands out so much: "A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices."  That's it sweet friends.  Our broken world is in desperate need of Jesus.  I am in desperate need of Jesus.  He came as our Savior.  He will come again, as our Redeemer and Lord.
This Christmas there were far less presents, less events attended and no talk of Santa (because, Jesus!).  There was much more telling of the Christmas story in our home, showing and helping our girls give generously to others and praising God for the Hope He has given us through Christ.  I'll say it again; this year's Christmas was so sweet and simple.  It was purposeful!

So, now it is officially 2019! My sweet mom and David let me pick the a fun little count down on Netflix to ring in the New Year at 9:00pm.  Felt great to go to bed instead of staying up until midnight (let's be honest, I would have never made it anyway).  I have loved reading and hearing everyone's goals and/or everyone's 'one word' on Facebook for the upcoming year.  Meanwhile, I'm wondering what month I will actually remember to start writing 2019 instead of 2018.  I have to take things a day at a time.  Sometimes it's moment by moment.  Whatever 2019 looks like for my family and me, I'm positive that God will guide us and sustain us through it.

"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path."
-Psalm 119:105
I love you all dearly.  I pray you understand the HOPE and JOY that Jesus' birthday brings to our world and to each of our lives.  Our weary hearts can honestly rejoice.  Tomorrow, January 4, 2019, I go to the hospital for my bi-monthly MRI scans and it surely seems like God has given me the perfect opportunity to exercise my hope in a weary season.

Comments

  1. I have always loved your sweet spirit and heart for the Lord, Ashley. My heart is grieved at the suffering you and your dear family have had to endure. But in the middle of suffering comes joy...hope unexplainable. This is Christ in you on display for all to see. When an orange is cut or peeled, who can choose not to smell it. What a beacon of hope He has made you to a hurting, broken, lost world! Know my heart is with you and my prayers are for you, always! Deuteronomy 1:30...the same God fights for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Here We Are

I've tried to sit down and write this post about three times.  Every time I make it about a solid paragraph in and I scrap it to start over.  The first pass was already going to be really long winded and detailed.  The second was a little better, but opened the door for about a million rabbit trails to take. I think I've settled on the following for both time and posterity; back to a stream of consciousness brain dump... at least you know you're getting the freshest content. :) Ash was a gentle (most of the time :) ), compassionate heartbeat.  She had this unwavering focus to point others to Jesus.  She loved deeply  and had this ability to meet anyone where they were and pull them in.  She knew me better than anyone and (even in spite of that :) ), she loved me.  She was a tender-hearted mother that loved her girls more than most anything else.  She was passionate for caring for children (summers in other countries working in orphanages, working preschool ministry, her car

Merciful Rest

Today. May 14, 2022. A day that'll be etched into my memory for the rest of my life. It's the day my wife died. It's the day that holds moments that hurt worse than anything I've felt before. It's also the day that has brought some of the greatest episodes of hope I've ever seen. The past 72 hours have been some of the most rigorous as a caretaker.  These day have reminded me so very much of where we began this journey four and a half years ago in the ICU at UAB after her surgery, though, with one major difference... during those days I prayed earnestly for my wife to be saved and to recover.  These past few days have been filled with nothing but prayers of thankfulness and for mercy. I didn't sleep Thursday into Friday.  Ash required medications every hour and she was already showing signs of getting ready to leave her earthly body.  So aside from 15 minutes here and 20 minutes there... I embraced my former collegiate life and pulled an all-nighter. (Defini

Unexpectedly Expected

Good Evening- **Disclaimer: I'm an engineer.  I'm not a writer.  I did not major in English.  I prefer a mix of stream of consciousness and storytelling  as opposed to a formal MLA style paper.  If that really bothers you, I'm sorry and you will struggle through my posts.** Originally, I thought this would be the best medium to distribute information about the journey we are on.  I was wrong.  Even though it seems the sporadic updates I've gotten today have felt fewer and farther between than I would have liked, it all really came at a speed that was too fast to distribute through this blog. So, I imagine going forward this may be used as a milestone platform.  There will be honest, blunt communication of what's going on.  There will also be some behind-the-scenes analysis of everything.  I can't promise these will be short posts, but I can promise they'll be real and they'll be raw. So, let's start with today.  October 24, 2017 .  A