Skip to main content

When You Don't Have It Together

Thoughts that I continually have to remind myself of:
When my mind is set on God's promises, how could I possibly doubt? 
When my heart is full of hope, there is no room for anxiety. 
When I sing praises to the Lord, my focus shifts to Christ, not me. 
When my eyes are looking toward Heaven, the world's trials and my sufferings become smaller.

I am officially in the middle of my 12th round of maintenance chemotherapy!
THE. LAST. ONE.

It is GOOD news!  I am exhausted.  My brain is tired.  My body is worn.  I'm ready to rest.  God has been beyond gracious to me and my family during these past months of chemo.  He has brought me through, what I would consider, the unimaginable.  Not because I deserved it, but because He love me and this is part of the story He's written for me.  Thank You Lord!

Blessed is the one who endures trials, because when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.  James 1:12
I should be on my knees endlessly praising God for making it to this last round; rejoicing with my hands held high for the miraculous wonders He has performed in my life, but sometimes I find myself crying in my pillow.  It doesn't make sense.  I imagined getting to this point would be a relief.  A time to exhale.  And, while it IS in many ways, I'm also terrified about what's next.  The unknown.  The waiting for re-growth.  I want to have it together, but the fact that it just feels like a waiting game has me off balance...

I'm confident that I'm standing on a firm foundation, but my legs are so weak (metaphorically and literally).
I don't have it all together.  Not right now.  Not at all.  My mind wanders into the future "what-if" situations frequently.  I forget how much God has promised me.  I fail to remember the miracles God has already done in my life.  I get so narrowly focused on my prognosis instead of being focused on the God who created every cell in my body.  I know I'm struggling because I am trying to depend on myself [and a little bit on the internet :)].  Let us encourage one another to not lose heart in whatever trial we face.

Therefore we do not lose heart.  Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.  2 Corinthians 4:16
Friend, if you are in the valley, it's OK.  I'm there too.  I'm calling out to God alongside you.  Begging for strength to trust Him about this prognosis.  Asking for help to relinquish each anxious thought that comes to mind and place it at the foot of the cross.  Fighting the temptation to distract myself with social media instead of diving deep into scripture.  Prayerfully, tearfully and graciously reminding myself of God's salvation and love.

-Ashley

Comments

  1. Ashley you are such a sweet soul. I think about you daily because I pray for you daily. I am amazed and thankful for what God is doing for you and for what you are doing for others through your testimony. When we are weak He is strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We’ve never met but all I can say is PRAISE JESUS FOR YOUR FAITH! You challenge and encourage our entire family. You are an inspiration and more importantly a real life example of what authentic faith in Jesus looks like. Praying for you and your family now. Acts 20:24

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley, Prayers continuing for you today. Your post was a real encouragement to me today. Thanks for posting on days when you may not feel like it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Here We Are

I've tried to sit down and write this post about three times.  Every time I make it about a solid paragraph in and I scrap it to start over.  The first pass was already going to be really long winded and detailed.  The second was a little better, but opened the door for about a million rabbit trails to take. I think I've settled on the following for both time and posterity; back to a stream of consciousness brain dump... at least you know you're getting the freshest content. :) Ash was a gentle (most of the time :) ), compassionate heartbeat.  She had this unwavering focus to point others to Jesus.  She loved deeply  and had this ability to meet anyone where they were and pull them in.  She knew me better than anyone and (even in spite of that :) ), she loved me.  She was a tender-hearted mother that loved her girls more than most anything else.  She was passionate for caring for children (summers in other countries working in orphanages, working preschool ministry, her car

Merciful Rest

Today. May 14, 2022. A day that'll be etched into my memory for the rest of my life. It's the day my wife died. It's the day that holds moments that hurt worse than anything I've felt before. It's also the day that has brought some of the greatest episodes of hope I've ever seen. The past 72 hours have been some of the most rigorous as a caretaker.  These day have reminded me so very much of where we began this journey four and a half years ago in the ICU at UAB after her surgery, though, with one major difference... during those days I prayed earnestly for my wife to be saved and to recover.  These past few days have been filled with nothing but prayers of thankfulness and for mercy. I didn't sleep Thursday into Friday.  Ash required medications every hour and she was already showing signs of getting ready to leave her earthly body.  So aside from 15 minutes here and 20 minutes there... I embraced my former collegiate life and pulled an all-nighter. (Defini

Unexpectedly Expected

Good Evening- **Disclaimer: I'm an engineer.  I'm not a writer.  I did not major in English.  I prefer a mix of stream of consciousness and storytelling  as opposed to a formal MLA style paper.  If that really bothers you, I'm sorry and you will struggle through my posts.** Originally, I thought this would be the best medium to distribute information about the journey we are on.  I was wrong.  Even though it seems the sporadic updates I've gotten today have felt fewer and farther between than I would have liked, it all really came at a speed that was too fast to distribute through this blog. So, I imagine going forward this may be used as a milestone platform.  There will be honest, blunt communication of what's going on.  There will also be some behind-the-scenes analysis of everything.  I can't promise these will be short posts, but I can promise they'll be real and they'll be raw. So, let's start with today.  October 24, 2017 .  A