Skip to main content

Being Fruitful

My oldest daughter can memorize scripture extremely fast.  I'm trying to keep up with her.  We say a verse we are memorizing to each other at least once a day.  If I make one tiny mistake or hesitate for a moment, she will not take more than a second to correct me. (i.e. "Mom, it's 'fruit', not 'fruits').  I love this about her.  She is keeping me on my toes.  We just finished a new verse (see below).  I think it's difficult to memorize because there is a list of nine items.  Each of these items characterizes a fruit of the spirit.  It is good, so very good, to know the Word of God.  Having it dwell in my heart is truly life changing and drastically shapes how I look at the world.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, 
peace, patience, kindness, goodness, 
faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.
Galatians 5:22-23a

My daughter is very good at observation.  Now that she knows this verse, she recognizes it in her daily goings.

  • "Mom, I shared my roll with sister, that was kind."
  • "Mom, you gave me a hug, that was love."
  • "Mom, you helped me, that was... uhmmm... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness... Mom, that was GOOD that you helped me!"
  • Mom, they littered.  That was NOT kind to Earth."
Now I see it everywhere.  I especially see it in the way people have loved and prayed for us.  I wish I could share them all with you, but by God's grace, there are too many to list.  Here's a little peek into believers living out Galatians 5:22-23a in my life through prayer.

LOVE AND FAITHFULNESS

Erin is a lifelong friend.  We grew up together in East Texas.  We went to church and college together.  We both became pediatric physical therapists.  She is my very thoughtful and thorough sounding board.
Julielle is my forever heart friend.  We were college roommates.  We dream big, out of control big dreams.  We have the same spiritual gifting and we both love queso!
During my radiation treatment last year, they flew to my house in Birmingham.  Each live in different states.  WHY did they come?  WHY did they fly all the way here to Birmingham?  They wanted to sit on my bed, hold my hands and pray together.

WHAT?!  That was it.  That was the total purpose of their visit.  They gave me a safe place to speak out my fears.  They held me and we cried together.  It seems ridiculous to buy a plane ticket to come and pray with a friend.  They loved me so much that there wasn't really a second thought about it.  I can't think about that weekend without tears coming to my eyes.

KINDNESS AND PEACE

During radiation, I started to lose some of my hair, which was hard.  Also the radiation itself was pretty hard in general.  I went and got a massage toward the end of treatment at a local spa.  I really wanted to relax.  After the massage, I sat in the hot tub with several women who were talking.  I was trying to be invisible, making sure the scarf on my head stayed where it was supposed to so people didn't notice that I was going bald.  I kept looking at the ceiling and trying not to cry.  Of course, my attempt to be invisible was unsuccessful.

The shorter version of the story is that before I left the spa that morning I had a number of women, including the janitor, praying over me.  They prayed for my cancer, my new baby and all of the things to come.  They put their hands on me, cried over me, and prayed hard.  The Spirit of The Almighty was all over that place.  I thought I needed a massage, but God knew I needed those prayers.  How kind were they to seek me out?  How sweet were they to gather others to pray together?  How tender were their ears to hear God's prompting?  I left that spa in peace that only comes from The Lord.

GOODNESS AND GENTLENESS

I have a friend who means the world to me.  I look up to her so much.  Her mother is suffering from a degenerative disease.  Her muscles are going away.  Her speech is difficult.  But, her heart is good and full of care.

In her church, there's a designated time to pray for those who are suffering.  In her very broken voice, she softly prayed... "ash-ley".  What a precious moment.  I wish I had been there to share that moment with her.

PATIENCE AND JOY

I have an amazing friend named Karly.  We are in the same small group at church so we get to do life together daily.  She is an incredible mom raising two boys about the same ages as my girls (wedding talks have begun!).  Karly loves and teaches her boys about Christ so well.  I got this text from her one night:

"Tonight I was praying with my oldest and I asked him who he wanted to pray for.  He said 'Ashley'.  I asked him what he wanted God to do for Ashley and he said, 'I want God to make her head feel better.'  Then he looked at me and said, 'but God's already healed Ashley, but it takes a long time.'"

Oh what a precious heart.
I hope this is an encouraging post.  These little snapshots of life-giving prayers only show a glimpse of how rich and fruitful a relationship with Christ can be.  I hope this is encouraging to you.  I hope you take opportunities to pray for others around you.  God is so gracious and He is giving opportunities all around for community.  I pray you'll find one and grow closer to Him because of it.

We are headed to the beach!  We will relax (hopefully), wear loads of sunscreen and hopefully catch a sand crab or two!  This opportunity to go to the beach with my family, to have enough endurance to play in the pool, to watch the waves go over the ocean... it's all a gift from God!  I'm ready for the busy, fun, memory making trip!

I hope the start of this summer season brings opportunities for growth in community and deeper roots with the Father.

Comments

  1. Ashley, I love your heart for God and I know that HE alone has healed you and you will be whole again!!! I am saying thank you for this post!! It is a reminder of how often we should look for opportunities to be there to pray for someone, whether we know them or not. You are an inspiration to so many and my prayer team has been praying for you and your family since this all happened. Thank you for sharing your heart and have loads of fun at the beach with your precious family!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love listening to your wisdom and encouragement. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. You are amazing. What a wonderful moment to have the people at the spa pray over you. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Here We Are

I've tried to sit down and write this post about three times.  Every time I make it about a solid paragraph in and I scrap it to start over.  The first pass was already going to be really long winded and detailed.  The second was a little better, but opened the door for about a million rabbit trails to take. I think I've settled on the following for both time and posterity; back to a stream of consciousness brain dump... at least you know you're getting the freshest content. :) Ash was a gentle (most of the time :) ), compassionate heartbeat.  She had this unwavering focus to point others to Jesus.  She loved deeply  and had this ability to meet anyone where they were and pull them in.  She knew me better than anyone and (even in spite of that :) ), she loved me.  She was a tender-hearted mother that loved her girls more than most anything else.  She was passionate for caring for children (summers in other countries working in orphanages, working preschool ministry, her car

Merciful Rest

Today. May 14, 2022. A day that'll be etched into my memory for the rest of my life. It's the day my wife died. It's the day that holds moments that hurt worse than anything I've felt before. It's also the day that has brought some of the greatest episodes of hope I've ever seen. The past 72 hours have been some of the most rigorous as a caretaker.  These day have reminded me so very much of where we began this journey four and a half years ago in the ICU at UAB after her surgery, though, with one major difference... during those days I prayed earnestly for my wife to be saved and to recover.  These past few days have been filled with nothing but prayers of thankfulness and for mercy. I didn't sleep Thursday into Friday.  Ash required medications every hour and she was already showing signs of getting ready to leave her earthly body.  So aside from 15 minutes here and 20 minutes there... I embraced my former collegiate life and pulled an all-nighter. (Defini

Unexpectedly Expected

Good Evening- **Disclaimer: I'm an engineer.  I'm not a writer.  I did not major in English.  I prefer a mix of stream of consciousness and storytelling  as opposed to a formal MLA style paper.  If that really bothers you, I'm sorry and you will struggle through my posts.** Originally, I thought this would be the best medium to distribute information about the journey we are on.  I was wrong.  Even though it seems the sporadic updates I've gotten today have felt fewer and farther between than I would have liked, it all really came at a speed that was too fast to distribute through this blog. So, I imagine going forward this may be used as a milestone platform.  There will be honest, blunt communication of what's going on.  There will also be some behind-the-scenes analysis of everything.  I can't promise these will be short posts, but I can promise they'll be real and they'll be raw. So, let's start with today.  October 24, 2017 .  A