Skip to main content

A Valley to Cross

Tomorrow holds another set of scans and appointments.  I'm in a weird mix of being terrified and expectant.  How these two emotions can be intertwined, I have no idea.
In every attempt to be truthful, I don't feel good.  I feel weak.  In every area and aspect of life right now, I feel weak.  A few of months ago, we had settled into a pretty good rhythm.  I was getting to get out with friends, take my girls to school, go out on Target runs and just generally operate within my new normal; but then the seizures returned and since that point I've gradually gotten weaker and more run down.

This month has been really challenging physically.  We've added another seizure medication, not so much to eliminate the seizures (which is looking more likely that they will be here for the long haul) but more so to give us opportunity to grow in dosage compared to my old regimen.  This new medicine though, it's hit my body pretty hard.  My balance is off-centered.  I've had a few falls in recent weeks because of this.  In fact, I've had more falls than I want to count.  My pride has taken some serious punches.  My speech, energy and vision continue to fail me at times.  Seizures continue to wear me down both physically and mentally.  There is no simpler way to put it: I'm weak.

Pain, grief, being exposed, frail... these words are crawling over into every area of my life.  Emotionally, I'm carrying a heavy load.  My heart breaks when the girls ask about why I'm taking so many naps or not getting into the car with them to go somewhere special.  Overhearing them talk to their daddy about the 'spot' in my head is overwhelming at times.  Sometimes my oldest gives me a kiss on the side of my head exactly where the timor is and says, "I Love You." I instantly feel God's arms wrapping me close in those moments but also the brokenness of the here and now.

Being weak spiritually is SO real and tangible.  Of the three areas in life (Physical, Emotional and Spiritual), the weariness on the spiritual front is the one that hits the hardest.  It expands into every area of my life.  I wish I could say that I've been building up this post with how things have been going to then turn it around by saying that it's all getting better and that these weaknesses are being resolved, but that wouldn't be honest.  This, indeed, feels very much like a Valley.
While reading in Isaiah, these words (as common as they seem to be recalled by many) help to settle some of my fears:

Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom.
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.
Isaiah 40:28-29

I guess terrified and expectant means that tomorrow we will wait, cry and be reminded of/feel the heaviness of the situation.  However, we will also be reminded of God's mercies, provision and sustenance.  We may even get to have a round or two of checkers together (David and I have some intense games in the waiting areas).

Tomorrow we will have another opportunity to see God provide strength during a long clinical day.  We will also have another opportunity to point those around us to Jesus.  As difficult as these days are (and I am especially feeling that difficulty now), they are nothing when laid at the feet of Jesus.  

Please join in prayer for us as we are facing down another tough day.  Thank you for your faithfulness to walk alongside us on this journey.

Comments

  1. Praying for you, your family, and your doctors. Praying for strength - strength in all areas of your life. I pray for the seizures to be more able to be controlled. I pray for joy to fill your spirit in abundance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you all! Praying you feel God's love every day! He is a very present help in trouble! Sending hugs and love to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for our Almighty God to fill you with supernatural power and healing. Praying that your medical team is divinely inspired. Praying that God's joy and peace that passes all understanding fill you and your family. Praying that God surround you all with a impenetrable hedge of protection. God bless you in the valley and on the mountain.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Here We Are

I've tried to sit down and write this post about three times.  Every time I make it about a solid paragraph in and I scrap it to start over.  The first pass was already going to be really long winded and detailed.  The second was a little better, but opened the door for about a million rabbit trails to take. I think I've settled on the following for both time and posterity; back to a stream of consciousness brain dump... at least you know you're getting the freshest content. :) Ash was a gentle (most of the time :) ), compassionate heartbeat.  She had this unwavering focus to point others to Jesus.  She loved deeply  and had this ability to meet anyone where they were and pull them in.  She knew me better than anyone and (even in spite of that :) ), she loved me.  She was a tender-hearted mother that loved her girls more than most anything else.  She was passionate for caring for children (summers in other countries working in orphanages, working preschool ministry, her car

Merciful Rest

Today. May 14, 2022. A day that'll be etched into my memory for the rest of my life. It's the day my wife died. It's the day that holds moments that hurt worse than anything I've felt before. It's also the day that has brought some of the greatest episodes of hope I've ever seen. The past 72 hours have been some of the most rigorous as a caretaker.  These day have reminded me so very much of where we began this journey four and a half years ago in the ICU at UAB after her surgery, though, with one major difference... during those days I prayed earnestly for my wife to be saved and to recover.  These past few days have been filled with nothing but prayers of thankfulness and for mercy. I didn't sleep Thursday into Friday.  Ash required medications every hour and she was already showing signs of getting ready to leave her earthly body.  So aside from 15 minutes here and 20 minutes there... I embraced my former collegiate life and pulled an all-nighter. (Defini

Unexpectedly Expected

Good Evening- **Disclaimer: I'm an engineer.  I'm not a writer.  I did not major in English.  I prefer a mix of stream of consciousness and storytelling  as opposed to a formal MLA style paper.  If that really bothers you, I'm sorry and you will struggle through my posts.** Originally, I thought this would be the best medium to distribute information about the journey we are on.  I was wrong.  Even though it seems the sporadic updates I've gotten today have felt fewer and farther between than I would have liked, it all really came at a speed that was too fast to distribute through this blog. So, I imagine going forward this may be used as a milestone platform.  There will be honest, blunt communication of what's going on.  There will also be some behind-the-scenes analysis of everything.  I can't promise these will be short posts, but I can promise they'll be real and they'll be raw. So, let's start with today.  October 24, 2017 .  A