Skip to main content

The Merry Time of Christmas!

Merry Christmas (plus a few days)!

I hope your Christmas was full of joy, laughs, ridiculous amounts of food*, movie watching and all of the joys of being around those who make you smile.  *Canned cranberry sauce excluded... **thumbs down**

More than parties and presents this season, I hope this Christmas has brought you to the reason we celebrate in the first place.  I hope you know the greatest gift of all.  Jesus.  He is the root of the holiday, the sole reason we celebrate in the first place.

Jesus, our Lord, has come!
If your Christmas was not so merry, you, my friend are not alone.  I'm sorry for any circumstance that has made this season more difficult.

For me, I was anxiously wondering if this would be my last Christmas.  I know too many who will have an extra chair at the table this year because the person who used to fill it is no longer here.  Families that are no longer as whole as they once were.  Other things could've crept in too: loss of a job, financial issues, fear of the coming days, regrets from the past...

Grief is real.  I've found that I've had to refocus my heart many times through this season.  It is hard during normal times, but it seems especially difficult during seasons like this.  However, even though it's hard sometimes, I come back to this, we celebrate the birth of Jesus, the Son of man.  He came from on high to be among us and because of this, He makes the way for us to be wholly with Him.

I've been reading a devotional book from one of my sweetest friends, Meredith.  It's called "100 Days of Jesus" by Diann Cotton.  It has helped to increase my understanding of and relationship with Jesus.  With all of the emotions that come with Christmas, oh that we would see the wonder and miracle that is Jesus' birth.
Jesus:

  • Advocate
  • Bread of Life
  • Bridegroom
  • Bright Morning Star
  • Carpenter
  • Chose One
  • Cornerstone
  • Expected One
  • Great Shepherd
  • Healer
  • Humble
  • I Am
  • Living Water
  • Man of Sorrows
  • Ransom
  • Risen One
  • Savior
  • Son of David
  • Son of God
  • Son of Man
  • True Vine
  • Way
  • Word
Our life (if you profess, believe and follow Jesus) is a blessing.  Whether in the good times or in the midst of struggle, the life we have is a blessing.

Oh Lord, Thank you for Christmas.  Thank you for sending your son.  Help us all continue to celebrate your precious gift!  Thank you for being the light on the path.  Thank you for your joy. Thank you for your hope!

When they saw the star, they were overjoyed.
Matthew 2:10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Here We Are

I've tried to sit down and write this post about three times.  Every time I make it about a solid paragraph in and I scrap it to start over.  The first pass was already going to be really long winded and detailed.  The second was a little better, but opened the door for about a million rabbit trails to take. I think I've settled on the following for both time and posterity; back to a stream of consciousness brain dump... at least you know you're getting the freshest content. :) Ash was a gentle (most of the time :) ), compassionate heartbeat.  She had this unwavering focus to point others to Jesus.  She loved deeply  and had this ability to meet anyone where they were and pull them in.  She knew me better than anyone and (even in spite of that :) ), she loved me.  She was a tender-hearted mother that loved her girls more than most anything else.  She was passionate for caring for children (summers in other countries working in orphanages, working preschool ministry, her car

Merciful Rest

Today. May 14, 2022. A day that'll be etched into my memory for the rest of my life. It's the day my wife died. It's the day that holds moments that hurt worse than anything I've felt before. It's also the day that has brought some of the greatest episodes of hope I've ever seen. The past 72 hours have been some of the most rigorous as a caretaker.  These day have reminded me so very much of where we began this journey four and a half years ago in the ICU at UAB after her surgery, though, with one major difference... during those days I prayed earnestly for my wife to be saved and to recover.  These past few days have been filled with nothing but prayers of thankfulness and for mercy. I didn't sleep Thursday into Friday.  Ash required medications every hour and she was already showing signs of getting ready to leave her earthly body.  So aside from 15 minutes here and 20 minutes there... I embraced my former collegiate life and pulled an all-nighter. (Defini

Unexpectedly Expected

Good Evening- **Disclaimer: I'm an engineer.  I'm not a writer.  I did not major in English.  I prefer a mix of stream of consciousness and storytelling  as opposed to a formal MLA style paper.  If that really bothers you, I'm sorry and you will struggle through my posts.** Originally, I thought this would be the best medium to distribute information about the journey we are on.  I was wrong.  Even though it seems the sporadic updates I've gotten today have felt fewer and farther between than I would have liked, it all really came at a speed that was too fast to distribute through this blog. So, I imagine going forward this may be used as a milestone platform.  There will be honest, blunt communication of what's going on.  There will also be some behind-the-scenes analysis of everything.  I can't promise these will be short posts, but I can promise they'll be real and they'll be raw. So, let's start with today.  October 24, 2017 .  A