Skip to main content

My Cup Flows Over

Have you ever had a verse that just lands so perfectly in a season that you know it was God ordained to hear it?
When we put the girls down at night, we do a short Bible devotional.  There's one page in the book that our youngest asks for EVERY night.  We think it's really more about the picture (a cup of milk that is running over because the mom is continuing to pour milk in it).  There have been literal tantrums thrown in our house by said daughter over this very topic.  We ALL know this verse because we read this page frequently.  We ALL know it is on page 209 in the book.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Psalm 23:5

The first time we actually read this devotion... it sat heavy on my heart.  ...my cup overflows.

What a simple verse that has taken up root in my heart.  These little words felt so distant from me.  When I look at my cup right now, it seems more empty than full.  This verse says overflowing.  Overflowing??!  More like overwhelmed.  Short on strength.  Heavy on tears.  Questions.  Doubts.  Anxiety.

The truth of God overfilling my cup and heart in this season is hard to wrap my mind around.  My tumor is growing.  It's obvious in my words, in my movements, in my memories.  It breaks my heart.  And even though there have been so many doors closed recently (regarding my treatment options) I absolutely have the best team working hard on my behalf.

I've been keeping this verse close to my heart.  I repeat it constantly.  I pray it often.  It's obvious that God is using this verse to speak to me in multiple ways.  By his unending, good grace, He gives me time to process, time to struggle and time to dwell.  Circling back to this small, beautiful verse... In my current season of life, as I reflect on the previous couple of weeks, I see God's blessing even in the valley I'm in.  Easter was a timely season that my heart was longing for.  In our PJs, amidst the corralling of busy little girls, drinking my warm cup of tea... Jesus' actions and His story spoke loudly.  The CROSS on which my Savior died to atone for my sins, the love the Father showed by orchestrating this story and the peace Jesus brings in conquering death... it is exactly what I needed to hear.
It is JESUS whose cup was literally poured out... knowingly.  In prolonged agony.  I'll never fully understand the gravity of this.  The spilling of His sacrificial blood helps me shift my thoughts.  It allows me to see that my cup is full and overflowing.  The Psalm that David wrote contains a treasure trove of encouragement.  Will I fight to see His blessings?  Do I seek courage to know He is worthy?  Am I asking for wisdom in times of suffering?  Can I see that my cup runs over?

God is faithful.  This is evident in every moment of the day.  He is generous.  He is full of love and patient toward us.

Oh that God would help me to look at what seems like an empty cup at times and transform my heart to see all of His goodness and grace flowing out of it instead.  Oh that I would richly dwell in His presence.
Lastly, in this season of COVID-19, be reminded of Psalm 23.  Know that you are loved deeply.  In the complexity and strains that this season brings, you are not forgotten by the Lord Almighty.
----
Tomorrow I start a new treatment cycle.  I've been on a new medication for the past month or so with the intent to essentially choke off the blood supply to the tumor.  After we learned that the chemotherapy was somewhat ineffective against the tumor we opted to begin this medication.  We also discovered that I'd be a candidate for Proton Radiation Therapy.  So, tomorrow, I will start my course of Proton Radiation.  Praying specifically that this would have minimal ill-effects but would have maximum damage to the tumor.  The prospect of being back in radiation is bittersweet.  Not excited about the process but thankful for the opportunity.

Comments

  1. You are being prayed for by many and we are believing that God is on the Move and He is able to kill this tumor!!! Believe and receive in the Name of Jesus! You are such a testimony and encouragement to all!! And you and David and your precious girls are loved!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always in my heart and prayer! You and your husband are such a blessing to others! Much love! Martha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley, we are praying for you so heavily. I feel like I know you even though I don’t really. But I am also suffering from a left frontal lobe Astrocytoma (a glioma that is 10 cm and some of it goes into my right side) what used to be a stage 2 but my oncologist is assuming now it is a stage 3. It is a slow growing tumor but still cancerous. I have been on Temodar for 2 ish years, but last summer they took me off the Temodar, and I started having seizures to the point where I cannot even remember having them, cannot remember the days, the memories, etc. It makes me so sad to realize these truths. I also have an odema or edema around my tumor as well. So I started radiation last October and it went for a little over 6 ish weeks, then after the radiation I went in for chemotherapy but it was a new kind. And during all of this I was on meds for the seizures and steroids. My body is jacked up, I hate having so many shots and sometimes I am ready to stop. But I know I cannot just give up. God loves us, he is sovereign over us. I also have kids that are now 11, 8, and 6. I have had this slow growing tumor for 5 years now. I can’t believe that. But I was also just writing to say that I will remember your family and to encourage us both with the love of God. I heard once that God has us in the best place for us right now. I don’t fully understand it, and I am sure you won’t either but just know that God is so so so loving, kind and good to us. Also, if you guys want to know what all the meds I am on know please let me know. There are still a lot, but I am not sure if you have tried these for the seizures. We live in Turkey right now. Anyway, love you sister!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 7 He is not afraid of bad news; his heart is firm, trusting in the LORD.
    8 His heart is steady; he will not be afraid...... - Psalm 112:7-8

    Praying that we both would have hearts that are firm in Christ Jesus.
    And on the last post, I forgot to say that I knew your old Mission pastor at your church. And to say isn’t also amazing that we have the same name and spell it the same. Hahaha

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Here We Are

I've tried to sit down and write this post about three times.  Every time I make it about a solid paragraph in and I scrap it to start over.  The first pass was already going to be really long winded and detailed.  The second was a little better, but opened the door for about a million rabbit trails to take. I think I've settled on the following for both time and posterity; back to a stream of consciousness brain dump... at least you know you're getting the freshest content. :) Ash was a gentle (most of the time :) ), compassionate heartbeat.  She had this unwavering focus to point others to Jesus.  She loved deeply  and had this ability to meet anyone where they were and pull them in.  She knew me better than anyone and (even in spite of that :) ), she loved me.  She was a tender-hearted mother that loved her girls more than most anything else.  She was passionate for caring for children (summers in other countries working in orphanages, working preschool ministry, her car

Merciful Rest

Today. May 14, 2022. A day that'll be etched into my memory for the rest of my life. It's the day my wife died. It's the day that holds moments that hurt worse than anything I've felt before. It's also the day that has brought some of the greatest episodes of hope I've ever seen. The past 72 hours have been some of the most rigorous as a caretaker.  These day have reminded me so very much of where we began this journey four and a half years ago in the ICU at UAB after her surgery, though, with one major difference... during those days I prayed earnestly for my wife to be saved and to recover.  These past few days have been filled with nothing but prayers of thankfulness and for mercy. I didn't sleep Thursday into Friday.  Ash required medications every hour and she was already showing signs of getting ready to leave her earthly body.  So aside from 15 minutes here and 20 minutes there... I embraced my former collegiate life and pulled an all-nighter. (Defini

Unexpectedly Expected

Good Evening- **Disclaimer: I'm an engineer.  I'm not a writer.  I did not major in English.  I prefer a mix of stream of consciousness and storytelling  as opposed to a formal MLA style paper.  If that really bothers you, I'm sorry and you will struggle through my posts.** Originally, I thought this would be the best medium to distribute information about the journey we are on.  I was wrong.  Even though it seems the sporadic updates I've gotten today have felt fewer and farther between than I would have liked, it all really came at a speed that was too fast to distribute through this blog. So, I imagine going forward this may be used as a milestone platform.  There will be honest, blunt communication of what's going on.  There will also be some behind-the-scenes analysis of everything.  I can't promise these will be short posts, but I can promise they'll be real and they'll be raw. So, let's start with today.  October 24, 2017 .  A