Skip to main content

A Flickering Shadow

 This one won't be a terribly long update and it will certainly be a jumbled mess of how Ash is doing and some of my random thoughts interjected.  Just wanted to provide some insight as to where we're at.

Over the course of the past 12 days, Ash has continued on her steady decline.  We started tapering off some of her medications that were essentially supplemental and not vital to continued operations.  We changed the mode by which some of those medications were taken (i.e. crushed, mixed, etc.).  This worked well for a few days.  In fact, everything we've adjusted over the past two weeks has worked well for a day or two before we had to continue making adjustments.

The most significant (until tonight; more on that in a minute) decline has come in the form of decreased water intake.  She takes in 2-3 ounces of water a day.  This has been the case for the past 5-6 days.  We know that's not sustainable, and will likely be one of the key culprits in what's to come.

She had a pretty gnarly cough for a bit, but it resolved and her breathing is much easier now.

On to tonight (read as: the motivation to write an update tonight)... today (also in the past few days) Ash has slept 22-23 hours a day.  With the remaining awake time is sporadic and comes in spurts of 10-15 minute chunks peppered throughout the day.  We've noticed the trend of her being able to more readily sleep through her nurse visits (and bath/linen change out time).  Tonight, however, she was awake as the girls were going to bed but was not really coherent.  We tried to give her some water and she really struggled to take it.  This led me to a decision point where I've had suspended her regular medications.  If she's not able to safely swallow any more, we've hit one of the final milestones on this walk.  

(Side note, and I think this goes without saying, but I'm saying it anyway: I do not like any of this.  Having to make these decisions.  Watching her fade.  Navigating all of this with the girls.  It's heavy, I can't sleep, I'm agitated. ...and yet, I keep coming back to an adage my dad used to tell me, "[this may not be easy and likely not fun, but...] the only way out is through.")

With the suspension of her regular meds, it's a near certainty that we'll see an increase in seizure activity.  We've already started to see an uptick in recent days.  Tonight we even witnessed some activity in her mouth/jaw/tongue.  Though we've stopped her regular meds, we are still giving her some Ativan and will likely increase it's frequency in the coming days.

With that being said, tonight, though she was awake for a short period... it is likely that the coming days will be filled with sleep.  As such, once the decision was made to hold on her regular meds, I went and got the girls out of bed to let them come up here to see and talk to their mom awake (for what could be the last time).  I'm not trying to over dramatize the moments, but everything is starting to blur together and I'm documenting for future recollection. After a few minutes of letting them lay in the bed with her and tell her that they love her, I went and put them back to bed. (I've run a risk here; I may have created an opportunity for them to be more sad in the near term; but I've also, hopefully, given them an opportunity that will be remembered in the future as a sweet moment with their mom... feels a bit like shooting from the hip, but I feel like I'll regret this choice the least compared to the alternative of not providing them an opportunity... ugh, I digress) My oldest certainly had some questions and I've found that neither she nor I can actually say out loud what is about to happen.  We talked about giving mom some meds that will help her relax and will likely make her really sleepy and that she may not be awake anymore... until it happens.

Anyways, all of this summarized, would basically tell you that we are absolutely in the final days.  Extremely poor water intake, meds being curtailed, coherence and interactions have all but ceased... the air is thickening and gravity is growing.  I know the days to come will be a whirlwind, but I will do my best to keep everyone informed.  

Thank you so much for encouraging our family through prayer.  Thank you for the meals and messages.  Thank you for those who are investing richly into our daughters.  Certainly going to be a rough ride, but even through all of this, God is providing.  Even when my eyes can't see what He's doing, I trust it will always be for His Glory and for my good.

Comments

  1. Although we have never met, I have been praying for Ashley throughout her long journey. Yesterday, I found her heavy on my heart. I will continue to pray that God will continue to be with Ashley and with you and the girls in the coming days. May His peace that passes all understanding steadfastly be yours until the Lord calls Ashley Home to abide with Him forever. 🙏🏻💜🙏🏻

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for God's Mercy and Peace to cover all of you in the days and hours to come. You are a Warrior and God is with you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart hurts for you and the girls. I pray for Ashley's mom and family also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and your family are in my prayers constantly. I pray that you feel his arms wrapped around all of you. I pray that you have a peace that only he can give. I love your sweet Evelyn and can't wait to love on that little sister
    and for her to join us at Bluff Park. Love, Mrs. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your resilience, transparency,boldness and certainly braveness to talk out loud for this type of thing in life (to say the least). I have gone through this journey with my father, and to talk and help people through you are AMAZING. ASHLEY is AMAZING. LOVE YOU GUYS!! Still praying for peace and understanding

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Here We Are

I've tried to sit down and write this post about three times.  Every time I make it about a solid paragraph in and I scrap it to start over.  The first pass was already going to be really long winded and detailed.  The second was a little better, but opened the door for about a million rabbit trails to take. I think I've settled on the following for both time and posterity; back to a stream of consciousness brain dump... at least you know you're getting the freshest content. :) Ash was a gentle (most of the time :) ), compassionate heartbeat.  She had this unwavering focus to point others to Jesus.  She loved deeply  and had this ability to meet anyone where they were and pull them in.  She knew me better than anyone and (even in spite of that :) ), she loved me.  She was a tender-hearted mother that loved her girls more than most anything else.  She was passionate for caring for children (summers in other countries working in orphanages, working preschool ministry, her car

Merciful Rest

Today. May 14, 2022. A day that'll be etched into my memory for the rest of my life. It's the day my wife died. It's the day that holds moments that hurt worse than anything I've felt before. It's also the day that has brought some of the greatest episodes of hope I've ever seen. The past 72 hours have been some of the most rigorous as a caretaker.  These day have reminded me so very much of where we began this journey four and a half years ago in the ICU at UAB after her surgery, though, with one major difference... during those days I prayed earnestly for my wife to be saved and to recover.  These past few days have been filled with nothing but prayers of thankfulness and for mercy. I didn't sleep Thursday into Friday.  Ash required medications every hour and she was already showing signs of getting ready to leave her earthly body.  So aside from 15 minutes here and 20 minutes there... I embraced my former collegiate life and pulled an all-nighter. (Defini

Unexpectedly Expected

Good Evening- **Disclaimer: I'm an engineer.  I'm not a writer.  I did not major in English.  I prefer a mix of stream of consciousness and storytelling  as opposed to a formal MLA style paper.  If that really bothers you, I'm sorry and you will struggle through my posts.** Originally, I thought this would be the best medium to distribute information about the journey we are on.  I was wrong.  Even though it seems the sporadic updates I've gotten today have felt fewer and farther between than I would have liked, it all really came at a speed that was too fast to distribute through this blog. So, I imagine going forward this may be used as a milestone platform.  There will be honest, blunt communication of what's going on.  There will also be some behind-the-scenes analysis of everything.  I can't promise these will be short posts, but I can promise they'll be real and they'll be raw. So, let's start with today.  October 24, 2017 .  A