Skip to main content

Where Do We Go From Here...

I don't know where to begin.  A new beginning usually comes after something has ended.  So, maybe I don't know where to begin because I don't know where it all ended.
I'm starting chemo on Wednesday (Feb. 26th).  It takes so much out of me. It hurts.  When I finished chemo the last time, my body was so weak and fragile.  Starting chemo again brings up memories that I'd rather forget.  It's not fun.  I lost a lot of weight.  My veins grew tired of being pricked.  At night, I'd lay on the floor next to a trashcan.  I would be sick all night... just trying to make it through.  Minute by minute, hour by hour and day by day... Chemo is HARD.
There are different types of chemo with different types of side effects... but, if you are in this season or trying to recover; I love you and you are not alone.

Behold, God is mighty, and does not despise any; he is mighty in strength of understanding.
Job 36:5

So, let's step back and see what led me back down this chemo path.  My last MRI showed a growth in my tumor.  The terminal part of my diagnosis rings a little louder when we hit these sharp turns in the road.  What's the time limit on crying in any given day? Who knows, but I found myself pushing those boundaries. The night of finding out that my tumor is growing was filled with snuggles and pizza with my girls... oh and Disney movies... It was good.

The growth in the tumor is quite serious.  It's something that has to be addressed quickly.  So we had to come up with a plan of attack.  We developed a plan... Plans are tricky little things.  We initially set course for surgery but there were some conditions that had to be met before that was a workable option.  So, about that plan, we always seem to be learning, grasping quickly and holding tightly, but holding with a gentle hand instead of a clenched fist, because what is a 'sure thing' on day one is a slip and slide on day two.  Oh that the Lord would soften our heart.  That our plan would be 'Your Will Be Done'.  That it would be a plan of peace and not confusion; bravery not fear.
I've been overwhelmed with the next steps.  It feels like an uncomfortable mix of free fall and quick sand.  Here's a brief(ish) recount:

  • Neurosurgery.  It's the best course of action to get the tumor out.
  • Seizures are too strong/frequent to perform the surgery.
  • Adding a new anti-seizure medication (tomorrow) to attempt to control the seizures
  • Insurance denied the first attempt of said drug.
  • Can't keep playing the waiting game on seizure control; plan adjustment; tumor is growing.
  • Where the growth is, radiation is not an option (essentially the tumor growth is inside of the same area that we previously radiated)
  • Chemotherapy it is! :-) 
  • Oh Hey! Insurance approved the second attempt at filling the seizure medication
  • Insurance denied first attempt at filling the chemo script
  • Turns out they filed with the wrong provider; Chemo is now approved (two days later)
  • NeuroOncologist presented us with a secondary treatment option that works both, in tandem with chemo, but can also continue to run independent of chemo.

All in all, my heart feels like it has been run through the wringer.  Some how, and only by the grace of God, I am ready to start chemo.  Not excited, by any means, but ready to lean into God and His mercy and plan.

The counsel of the Lord stands forever, the plans of his heart to all generations.
Psalm 33:11

My biggest struggle this past week was deciding on chemo alone or starting that parallel treatment.  The treatment has its pros and cons.  Some decisions we face are black and white, but this one is about as gray as gray can be.  I've been so extremely torn on whether to move forward or not.
A few days ago, I laid on the floor and cried.  Just cried.  Told God every fear I had about choosing or not choosing to begin the other treatment.  Face on the floor, I begged God to tell me what to do.  I didn't hear him say anything, but when I sat up I felt God was saying "satisfied".  The more I thought about being satisfied, the more my heart longed to be satisfied within Him and only in Him.  When I'm completely satisfied with Christ, this big, overwhelming decision because a bit more simple, because ultimately it is an opportunity to rest with Christ.

As for me, I shall behold your face in righteousness; when I awake, I shall be satisfied with your likeness.
Psalm 17:15

Wherever you are in life, I pray you seek the Lord, find his rest, and are satisfied by God.  Satisfied in his good and holy plan.  You are loved so much.

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Ashley, you are an amazing Child of God, a Daughter of the King and I and my prayer team are praying for your Miracle Healing in the Name of Jesus!!! HE is your Healer! Know that you are loved and being prayed for!!! Ginny

      Delete
  2. Praying for you, sweet Ashley. My heart aches this morning for your turmoil and for your discomfort. I pray that this chemo will be more tolerable. I also pray that it is an efficient and effective treatment for those evil cancer cells. Praying for your family and praying for your entire medical team.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, bless you. It’s my husband who has the diagnosis, but at the time he received it, I was just finishing part of my treatment for breast cancer. I, too, have laid on the floor and wept before the Lord, seeking His answers and His peace. I pray that you will be filled with the peace that passes all understanding, comforted by His arms of love, and able to rest in His presence. Romans 15:13 “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him .” And as a side note - those doctors don’t get to write your story or set a time limit. God is in control! We are 3 1/2 years out from a 6 months to a year diagnosis and still no symptoms of cancer. He can do far more than all we ask or imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Sweet Mama! Your faith is great and our God is good. I heard something the other day about story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, God didn't take them out of the fiery furnace, he went inside with them. You are not alone. I am on my knees for you- every day of this journey. You are making a difference in this world- with your story, with your grace, with your faith... believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your faith is so inspiring to me! I pray for your peace and that of your family ! May He comfort you and heal you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for you guys. Thank you for sharing your heart, struggles and faith!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for you and your family. Thank you for how you trust and lean on the Lord in everything. You are a faithful warrior sister and we battle alongside of you and with you! You do not go at this alone. He will sustain you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love you and your beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Here We Are

I've tried to sit down and write this post about three times.  Every time I make it about a solid paragraph in and I scrap it to start over.  The first pass was already going to be really long winded and detailed.  The second was a little better, but opened the door for about a million rabbit trails to take. I think I've settled on the following for both time and posterity; back to a stream of consciousness brain dump... at least you know you're getting the freshest content. :) Ash was a gentle (most of the time :) ), compassionate heartbeat.  She had this unwavering focus to point others to Jesus.  She loved deeply  and had this ability to meet anyone where they were and pull them in.  She knew me better than anyone and (even in spite of that :) ), she loved me.  She was a tender-hearted mother that loved her girls more than most anything else.  She was passionate for caring for children (summers in other countries working in orphanages, working preschool ministry, her car

Merciful Rest

Today. May 14, 2022. A day that'll be etched into my memory for the rest of my life. It's the day my wife died. It's the day that holds moments that hurt worse than anything I've felt before. It's also the day that has brought some of the greatest episodes of hope I've ever seen. The past 72 hours have been some of the most rigorous as a caretaker.  These day have reminded me so very much of where we began this journey four and a half years ago in the ICU at UAB after her surgery, though, with one major difference... during those days I prayed earnestly for my wife to be saved and to recover.  These past few days have been filled with nothing but prayers of thankfulness and for mercy. I didn't sleep Thursday into Friday.  Ash required medications every hour and she was already showing signs of getting ready to leave her earthly body.  So aside from 15 minutes here and 20 minutes there... I embraced my former collegiate life and pulled an all-nighter. (Defini

Unexpectedly Expected

Good Evening- **Disclaimer: I'm an engineer.  I'm not a writer.  I did not major in English.  I prefer a mix of stream of consciousness and storytelling  as opposed to a formal MLA style paper.  If that really bothers you, I'm sorry and you will struggle through my posts.** Originally, I thought this would be the best medium to distribute information about the journey we are on.  I was wrong.  Even though it seems the sporadic updates I've gotten today have felt fewer and farther between than I would have liked, it all really came at a speed that was too fast to distribute through this blog. So, I imagine going forward this may be used as a milestone platform.  There will be honest, blunt communication of what's going on.  There will also be some behind-the-scenes analysis of everything.  I can't promise these will be short posts, but I can promise they'll be real and they'll be raw. So, let's start with today.  October 24, 2017 .  A