Skip to main content

Brain Cancer Awareness

May is Brain Cancer Awareness month!  I don't know why I put an exclamation mark at the end of the sentence, other than to say I am really excited to share these moments with you.

Brain Cancer is a funny subject.  Bringing awareness to it can make for some uncomfortable moments, but it does provide for opportunities to learn more and understand more about a specific cancer that can be really scary.  One thing this month is not, though, is a time for pity.  It is a time to listen, learn and care for our 'family' with brain cancer.  The weird thing is, for everyone that has brain cancer we are all bonded through that common point.  In that sense, it doesn't matter what race or creed or tribe, we all fight as one.

Of course, like any other cancer awareness month, there is a color associated with Brain Cancer Month.  Here's the fun part: it's gray!  Though it may seem underwhelming as a color, there is a bit of humor in it.  The brain is comprised of two 'colors' of matter: Gray and White.  The hashtag is pretty clever... #GrayMatters
Just for a bit of awareness:

Having brain cancer is certainly life altering.  The news is complete with a flood of questions and emotions.  Once diagnosed the standard of care typically can include: Surgery, Chemotherapy, Radiation, etc.  But cancer doesn't always play by the rules.  Every person responds differently and every person deals with the aftermath differently.  There are plenty of opportunities to lean in and support those who are in the struggle because you never know how every person is handling everything.

Some of the potential issues that one may go through include:
Insurance struggles (approving or not approving certain treatments/medications
Clinical trials (the criteria may or may not be met)
Surgery typically comes at great risk.  There are times where an open craniotomy has to be performed and the tumor has to be mapped so that as much can be removed without causing massive detriment (crazy!)
The tumor can be in different areas affecting different aspects of the person's function
The stigma that surrounds cancer in general

Now, back to where things are at:

I'm currently in radiation therapy.  I was approved for Proton Radiation.  I'm so thankful that I got the approval.  It's be a blessing, for sure.  If you have a few extra minutes, you should look it up and learn about it.  It provides a lot of benefits as far as collateral damage goes while still proving to be an effective form of therapy.
These past few weeks have been challenging.  Physically, emotionally, keeping the 'what if's' at bay, fighting insecurities, etc.  I've given myself a little grace here and there and have justified wearing pajamas more than I want to share :) I'm really starting to feel the side effects of the radiation.  I'm fatigued and weary!

Therefore, we do not lose heart.  Though outwardly we are wasting away, 
yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.
2 Corinthians 4:16

What a verse to proclaim as we fight through suffering.  This is certainly one to keep in the back of our minds as we pray for one another.  Lord, Your truth is so good!  You alone give us hope.

At the end of the day, the statistics for brain cancer can be overwhelming.  They are what they are, but remember statistics are the numbers for the whole field; they are not helpful when it comes down to the one person having to deal with cancer (this goes for anyone who is in the boat along for the cancer ride).
The researchers, techs, nurses, doctors are all incredible part of the journey.  I am grateful for how they have shaped the brain cancer community... Even with all of the unknowns and all of the dead ends these teams sometimes hit... one thing is for certain:  God has no limit in His knowledge, no limit in His compassion, no limit in His provision.  He alone is the one who uniquely made each cell in our bodies.  Though our knowledge here on earth has limits, the Lord knows no such thing.

Who is like you, Lord God Almighty?
You, Lord, are mighty, and your faithfulness surrounds you.
Psalm 89:8

This is why we can't stop here.  If we do, we could miss out on how faithful God is throughout our trials.  Brain cancer has challenged me through hard, difficult moments accompanied with some great pain.  Right now, I feel beaten down; it takes hard moments to see God's faithfulness at times; but oh, is it there... and there abundantly.

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
1 Corinthians 13:7

As we have 'Gone Gray in May' raising awareness about brain cancer... My hope and prayer is that proclaiming God's love, power and provision is the most central message communicated.  Above any cancer awareness program, the real goal is to spread Jesus' Gospel.  It is truly Good News.
Side note: For some good laughs, you'll notice that time management isn't my strong suit these days.  This post about #GoGrayInMay is coming at you on May 31st.  Of course, this is no surprise to those who know me the best. :)

Comments

  1. Hey Ashley! I don't know if you'll remember me from college, but I stumbled across your blog again since I posted your blog to my mom's cancer prayer page on Facebook two years ago. I HATE reading that your cancer has returned, and I am praying for you and your sweet family. Your attitude of always wanting to glorify God in this trial is incredible and I KNOW your Heavenly Father is so delighted by you. Keep fighting and I'll continually check in. If there's anything you need that I can do at a distance, please let me know. You are so very loved!!
    Emily (Nye) Hoos

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Here We Are

I've tried to sit down and write this post about three times.  Every time I make it about a solid paragraph in and I scrap it to start over.  The first pass was already going to be really long winded and detailed.  The second was a little better, but opened the door for about a million rabbit trails to take. I think I've settled on the following for both time and posterity; back to a stream of consciousness brain dump... at least you know you're getting the freshest content. :) Ash was a gentle (most of the time :) ), compassionate heartbeat.  She had this unwavering focus to point others to Jesus.  She loved deeply  and had this ability to meet anyone where they were and pull them in.  She knew me better than anyone and (even in spite of that :) ), she loved me.  She was a tender-hearted mother that loved her girls more than most anything else.  She was passionate for caring for children (summers in other countries working in orphanages, working preschool ministry, her car

Merciful Rest

Today. May 14, 2022. A day that'll be etched into my memory for the rest of my life. It's the day my wife died. It's the day that holds moments that hurt worse than anything I've felt before. It's also the day that has brought some of the greatest episodes of hope I've ever seen. The past 72 hours have been some of the most rigorous as a caretaker.  These day have reminded me so very much of where we began this journey four and a half years ago in the ICU at UAB after her surgery, though, with one major difference... during those days I prayed earnestly for my wife to be saved and to recover.  These past few days have been filled with nothing but prayers of thankfulness and for mercy. I didn't sleep Thursday into Friday.  Ash required medications every hour and she was already showing signs of getting ready to leave her earthly body.  So aside from 15 minutes here and 20 minutes there... I embraced my former collegiate life and pulled an all-nighter. (Defini

Unexpectedly Expected

Good Evening- **Disclaimer: I'm an engineer.  I'm not a writer.  I did not major in English.  I prefer a mix of stream of consciousness and storytelling  as opposed to a formal MLA style paper.  If that really bothers you, I'm sorry and you will struggle through my posts.** Originally, I thought this would be the best medium to distribute information about the journey we are on.  I was wrong.  Even though it seems the sporadic updates I've gotten today have felt fewer and farther between than I would have liked, it all really came at a speed that was too fast to distribute through this blog. So, I imagine going forward this may be used as a milestone platform.  There will be honest, blunt communication of what's going on.  There will also be some behind-the-scenes analysis of everything.  I can't promise these will be short posts, but I can promise they'll be real and they'll be raw. So, let's start with today.  October 24, 2017 .  A