Skip to main content

A Taste of Suffering

My soul is in deep anguish.
How long, Lord, how long?
Psalm 6:3

Suffering; in a small part.  That's what this stage of life feels like.

"Lord please take it away.  I need you more than ever.  Lord, I love you.  God, please save me.  I am weak and faint.  God, you hear my prayer, I know you do.  I'm crying out for mercy."
...recently, my prayers to God have looked something like this.

As a Christian, suffering shouldn't be a surprise.  But, I do get surprised.  Maybe a good tattoo would help with remembering to not be surprised :) [I can feel David's scoff from here]
These last couple of weeks... they've been extra difficult.  Cancer has been kickin' my tail. I'm hurting in a lot of different ways.  My body just feels broken.  My heart is certainly fragile.  My energy is all but non-existent. Having cancer feels like a full time job, with no vacations or weekends.  Whether it is simple daily tasks, doctors' visits, surgeries (thankfully, not lately), chemo, radiation, medication, medication changes, more medication changes, clinic visits... seriously, how much blood can they take from me?!? It is all so much to handle and keep pressing forward with, not to mention, in the Covid era when there is very little respite from the children at home more than normal, not being able to have company during these appointments, etc.  

Please don't read the above paragraph and walk away with a sense of defeat or pity; that would be the wrong message.  That's not the message I want to convey.  I just don't want to dress up the truth with anything that isn't reality.  The last couple of weeks have had more than its fair share of tears and trials.  I can certainly say that in recent days I have failed the tests of patience more than I care to admit. Yet, through the recent moments of struggle, this song and verse has resonated in my soul... and I hope it does for you too.  

Again, I ask of the Lord...

"My soul is in deep anguish.
How long, Lord, how long?"
Even in the trials I've seen God's compassion pour over.  He has not forgotten me.  I know that He is near.  He absolutely hears me when I call.  Though my soul be in deep anguish, it is only by faith that I am able to believe, that I am able to trust that He is good.  A true faith, whether in good times or bad, whether in hardship or success... a true faith endures.  It is one that at the end of the day assures me that God is good and I can cling to Him in everything.

In all this you greatly rejoice, 
though now for a little while you 
may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials...
1 Peter 1:6

Thank you, God, for stretching me, for bending me to grow me.  Thank you for reminding me of your promises.  Thank you for enabling me to rejoice always.  Seeing your perfect love and letting me know who you are bring comfort to my soul.  You are all knowing and all powerful.  When You are ready (be it now or when the White Horse is given stride), cancer (and all other suffering) has no idea Who is coming for it!

There have been a lot of ups and (mainly) downs over the past month or so.  We've faced some really tough days lately with medication issues and seizures re-emerging (because of said issues), but we've been brought closer to God.  Though lately, it seems we are walking deeper into the valley.  
I have an MRI tomorrow and a follow up doctor visit with my Neuro-Oncologist.  Praying that tomorrow would be an encouragement with a good report.  It would certainly settle some anxiety that's been building, but even if it isn't, that faith that I wrote about above... that's what will carry me through, because it is the Object of that faith that sustains me.

Comments

  1. It is hard. I too know. Without Jesus, we could not travel this path. One day, we will understand and declare that it was worth it. Hold on to Jesus' heart, sweet girl. We may not understand his actions or thoughts but we can understand his love. That never wavers. You are a true warrior of the King's army. A precious daughter of the Light. And...eventually we will be healed. That will be a glorious day! Keep being the inspiration you are for people you've never met.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, I am humbled by your post. Your faith in the face of this giant called cancer makes me desire and want to pursue the same kind of faith. Thank you for sharing your journey and being real about it. Real Life. Real Suffering. But Real Faith, as you said, in the one who sustains you. Praying this morning that God has mercy on you🙏🏻❤️
    With much love,
    Susan Roberts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you Ashley and asking God for your Miracle Healing in the Name of Jesus!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your honesty is beautiful. Your suffering horrific. Our God big and powerful. I can’t even begin to relate to the path God has put you on, just know you are being covered in prayer. Know that your voice is an encouragement. Know that this walk you are on is not in vain as it brings another follower of the king to her knees. May the Lord bring encouragement and healing to your body and soul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending prayers Ashley. God is always with you and keeping you. May you feel his arms comforting you each day. Sending Love. Mrs. Casto

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you so much. Thankful for your honesty and praying peace and encouragement over you. May the Anchor of your soul sustain you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Here We Are

I've tried to sit down and write this post about three times.  Every time I make it about a solid paragraph in and I scrap it to start over.  The first pass was already going to be really long winded and detailed.  The second was a little better, but opened the door for about a million rabbit trails to take. I think I've settled on the following for both time and posterity; back to a stream of consciousness brain dump... at least you know you're getting the freshest content. :) Ash was a gentle (most of the time :) ), compassionate heartbeat.  She had this unwavering focus to point others to Jesus.  She loved deeply  and had this ability to meet anyone where they were and pull them in.  She knew me better than anyone and (even in spite of that :) ), she loved me.  She was a tender-hearted mother that loved her girls more than most anything else.  She was passionate for caring for children (summers in other countries working in orphanages, working preschool ministry, her car

Merciful Rest

Today. May 14, 2022. A day that'll be etched into my memory for the rest of my life. It's the day my wife died. It's the day that holds moments that hurt worse than anything I've felt before. It's also the day that has brought some of the greatest episodes of hope I've ever seen. The past 72 hours have been some of the most rigorous as a caretaker.  These day have reminded me so very much of where we began this journey four and a half years ago in the ICU at UAB after her surgery, though, with one major difference... during those days I prayed earnestly for my wife to be saved and to recover.  These past few days have been filled with nothing but prayers of thankfulness and for mercy. I didn't sleep Thursday into Friday.  Ash required medications every hour and she was already showing signs of getting ready to leave her earthly body.  So aside from 15 minutes here and 20 minutes there... I embraced my former collegiate life and pulled an all-nighter. (Defini

Unexpectedly Expected

Good Evening- **Disclaimer: I'm an engineer.  I'm not a writer.  I did not major in English.  I prefer a mix of stream of consciousness and storytelling  as opposed to a formal MLA style paper.  If that really bothers you, I'm sorry and you will struggle through my posts.** Originally, I thought this would be the best medium to distribute information about the journey we are on.  I was wrong.  Even though it seems the sporadic updates I've gotten today have felt fewer and farther between than I would have liked, it all really came at a speed that was too fast to distribute through this blog. So, I imagine going forward this may be used as a milestone platform.  There will be honest, blunt communication of what's going on.  There will also be some behind-the-scenes analysis of everything.  I can't promise these will be short posts, but I can promise they'll be real and they'll be raw. So, let's start with today.  October 24, 2017 .  A