Skip to main content

Resilience

Waiting, Straining, Enduring...
Reading, Listening, Praying...

The road we are traveling is anything but straight, smooth and uneventful.  Over the past few months, I've sat back and watched Ashley put her thoughts together for these blog posts.  I'd take what she wrote on her iPhone and retype it all out here.  It's been so insightful to post what she's feeling.  However, tonight, I'm taking the helm.  

It seems like our frequency of writing posts has waned over the past months, and while that has not been the intention, it is a product of circumstance.  Much like everyone else in the world, we've been preoccupied with shifting schedules, COVID concerns, lifestyle adjustments and managing the kids (that's an entirely different post for another time).  We seem to only write these brief snippets into our world when we have an MRI or doctor visit.  This post being no exception.  However, with that being said, I thought I'd take a few minutes to expand on where we are and why I'm the one writing this time.
So, tomorrow (really, later today because it's after midnight now) is a scan day followed up with a NeuroOncology appointment.  I think I'd be straight up lying if I said we were cool, calm and collected as we gear up to face the day in front of us.  Truthfully, there is a bit more concern and anxiety (I know, I know... don't be anxious...) as tomorrow approaches.  Let's unpack that for a minute.

You know how when you do life with, or live so close with, someone that you often times don't see the day to day changes in their attitudes or physical appearance.  (Case in point, you know when you look at pictures of yourself from 5 years ago and you can clearly see you've aged or added weight) It's often that, unless you have visible checkpoints, the day over day changes are relatively benign.  What's got us a bit more rattled than usual is that, for the past month and a half, I've been able to notice a pretty significant change in Ashley's cognitive function.  As of about two weeks ago, she has even started to notice it herself.  Things like short term memory, physical strength, stamina, emotional wellbeing, balance, word finding, verbal comprehension and expression; they've all found their way on a pretty decent slide in the wrong direction.  Enough so, that we've even shifted some more of the household chores around so she can continue to conserve energy.

All of that to say, we are eager to check in on things. People continue to ask how everyone is doing, specifically how Ashley is doing and my response a few months ago went something like 'she's tired, but she's hanging in there.  working through some medication issues, but all in all she's doing about as well as can be expected'.  With her and I both realizing that things are not like they once were; these days, when I get asked that question, my response tends to be along the lines of 'She's definitely struggling in some areas and it's starting to seem more and more like the disease is running its course.'

Tough words to speak.

Tougher environment to live in.

It's true though, and that's definitely something we've not been shy to share throughout this road we've been traveling; the reality of the road we're on.

And yet, even though we don't feel great about where we are heading or the path we feel like we are going to have to walk soon... we do know this: God is still (and will forever be) good.  It is the bedrock of where we rest.  Seriously, it's easy to use that quip... it seems, however, in practice to be one of the most difficult truths to see in the midst of struggle.  As we've carried on for these past few years, the race truly starts to feel like a marathon. The deeper we get into the forest on this journey, the darker the path gets.  
I've found myself over the past 4 months really struggle with making time for necessary things: mental self-care, physical self-care, spiritual fellowship, personal spiritual discipline... but even so, with all of the moments of messing up (be it parenting mistakes, errors in caring for Ash, dropping something for work, etc.) God is faithful to drop subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) reminders that He is Good.  He's not just Good in character; he is the embodiment of... the creator of the very definition of Good.  When those reminders hit, they truly are moments of fresh air that inject life back into this weary body.  I know the same can be said for Ashley.  I've seen moments of encouragement come when they've been most needed and to watch her brighten up and come to life is nothing short of beautiful. [Who knew that having rooms in our house redecorated, room layouts changed, surprise visitors, etc. would be such encouragements... but wow they have been; not even so much in the material things themselves but in the thoughtfulness and effort by others with the intention of being a blessing to her] 

Bringing these rabbit trails back around to the trail, one of the main truths I continue to find myself saying has provided sure footing... I'd like to share it with you.  I'm sure many of you have heard it, but take a minute and read this.  Once you finish, take a deep breath and read it again.

God works all things together for our good for those who love Jesus and ultimately all things are used by Him for His Glory. -Romans 8:28 / Colossians 1:16-18, 27

I've done a bit of a mash up there, but I really find that remembering that nothing is wasted by God and that through EVERYTHING (not a few things, not some things, but ALL things) God is working for the good of those who love Jesus and for His ultimate Glory.  If we truly believe what scripture tells us, there is not a single circumstance that happens outside of the sovereignty of God's Authority and if it is not outside of His Authority, it is being used by Him for our good and for His Glory.

Disease.  Strife.  Cancer.  Genetic Discrepancies.  It is all under His Authority.  I have to trust (because frankly I'd be lost without this truth) that God is using every circumstance for His Glory.  If it is for His Glory, it is inherently for my good.  If it is for my good, I can keep persevering through.  That is resilience.   Course correcting through mistakes, through hardships, through trial after trail after trial... being brought back to the foot of the cross with the truth that it is all for His Glory and my good.  Resiliency.
So, as we head into downtown later this morning for Ashley's MRI and follow up with her NeuroOnc, I will carry this truth with me.  Ash will hear me say it (no less than 5 times) and no matter what we may hear, Ashley and I will cling to the truth that Jesus is on the throne and that truth will never change.  And should we leave tomorrow with good news or not-so-good news, we will praise God all the same, because in Him we are resilient.












Comments

  1. Amen and Amen. Trust, faith, and perserverance are truly hard to practice but with God all things are possible. I love you and your faith is so deep. My prayers are being sent to our Savior constantly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your faith and strength, as we see it through your writing, never ceases to amaze me, bless me and put me in my place. Thank you for always sharing your heart with us. Lifting you all up in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying hard for you all. That seems like such a small thing to say under these circumstances. You guys are so loved. Your faith always amazes me. I admire you guys so much. My heart hurts reading this. Sending lots of love and prayers from our family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been following this blog since the beginning and have read each post faithfully. Ashley is written in my notebook where I keep prayer requests. I continue to pray for her and for your family here in Ft. Worth. Your strength and your trust in God encourages me in my life. I don’t know how a person lives without Him and His Promises. Thank you for sharing from your heart. May God be with you and hold you both today and tomorrow. 🙏🏻❤️🙏🏻

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your "mash up." Clinging to it for y'all and all of us. Grace & Peace to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen! Continue to take your family before the King regularly. May the God of all comfort, do so in the only and perfect way that He can. Hugs to you guys

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for God’s strength, peace, and grace for your family.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Here We Are

I've tried to sit down and write this post about three times.  Every time I make it about a solid paragraph in and I scrap it to start over.  The first pass was already going to be really long winded and detailed.  The second was a little better, but opened the door for about a million rabbit trails to take. I think I've settled on the following for both time and posterity; back to a stream of consciousness brain dump... at least you know you're getting the freshest content. :) Ash was a gentle (most of the time :) ), compassionate heartbeat.  She had this unwavering focus to point others to Jesus.  She loved deeply  and had this ability to meet anyone where they were and pull them in.  She knew me better than anyone and (even in spite of that :) ), she loved me.  She was a tender-hearted mother that loved her girls more than most anything else.  She was passionate for caring for children (summers in other countries working in orphanages, working preschool ministry, her car

Merciful Rest

Today. May 14, 2022. A day that'll be etched into my memory for the rest of my life. It's the day my wife died. It's the day that holds moments that hurt worse than anything I've felt before. It's also the day that has brought some of the greatest episodes of hope I've ever seen. The past 72 hours have been some of the most rigorous as a caretaker.  These day have reminded me so very much of where we began this journey four and a half years ago in the ICU at UAB after her surgery, though, with one major difference... during those days I prayed earnestly for my wife to be saved and to recover.  These past few days have been filled with nothing but prayers of thankfulness and for mercy. I didn't sleep Thursday into Friday.  Ash required medications every hour and she was already showing signs of getting ready to leave her earthly body.  So aside from 15 minutes here and 20 minutes there... I embraced my former collegiate life and pulled an all-nighter. (Defini

Unexpectedly Expected

Good Evening- **Disclaimer: I'm an engineer.  I'm not a writer.  I did not major in English.  I prefer a mix of stream of consciousness and storytelling  as opposed to a formal MLA style paper.  If that really bothers you, I'm sorry and you will struggle through my posts.** Originally, I thought this would be the best medium to distribute information about the journey we are on.  I was wrong.  Even though it seems the sporadic updates I've gotten today have felt fewer and farther between than I would have liked, it all really came at a speed that was too fast to distribute through this blog. So, I imagine going forward this may be used as a milestone platform.  There will be honest, blunt communication of what's going on.  There will also be some behind-the-scenes analysis of everything.  I can't promise these will be short posts, but I can promise they'll be real and they'll be raw. So, let's start with today.  October 24, 2017 .  A