Skip to main content

Unto The Hills

So, this will be the second blog post I've written in less than 14 days.  I haven't done that in a while.  I wish I didn't have to do it now.  It usually means there is a lot happening or significant changes in Ash's health that need to be shared; unfortunately, this time is no different.  I'll pre-apologize for poor grammar and/or misspellings... I am likely not going to proof this before I post it since it's late and I want to push an update since it's been a few days..

Ashley had an MRI and a NeuroOnc appointment this past Friday.  It was such a long day for her.  We had an early morning start and wound up getting back home mid-afternoon.  For her, that's SUCH a long day; draining to the point where it took her well into Saturday to somewhat recover.  If you'll remember back to April, Ash had an MRI and there was a notable area of concern on her scan.  It wasn't quite pronounced enough for the radiologist to move off of calling her tumor stable so we didn't do anything (treatment wise) as a result.  We just resolved, at that time, to take a look at it again in two months and see what we had. Well, we certainly saw what she had on Friday.  It isn't good.

Her tumor is progressing and in my non-doctor opinion, it's not by an insignificant amount.  Historically, her tumor is been located in the L temporo-parietal area, really it involves much of the parietal region as well.  When we had the recurrence last year, it was on the fringes of the same area.  This time, however, we've got a non-enhanced region that's essentially moving toward the front of the brain, it's more interior this time and it running along the outside of the L ventricle.  Granted, you may not care about any of that, but the point is to bring to the attention that this progression is outside of the original footprint of the tumor.  

So what does this mean? Well, it means a few things.  Let's start with the elephant in the room: Ashley's health is failing.  It is not subtle.  It is apparent.  I see it more readily every day.  It is not fun.  In fact, it hurts to see my wife struggle.  To struggle with the frustration of not being able to remember how to do things at times; to re-tell or re-ask the same comment every 5-10 minutes; to lose the ability to understand/communicate for a brief period.  It's just not fun. At all.

Where this tumor is progressing is essentially in an area that can affect memory.  As an example it can affect memory as it relates to programmed tasks that we all take for granted.  Generally speaking, if I hand you a water bottle because you are thirsty, you know to grab the bottle, twist the top off, hold the rim of the water bottle up to your lips, turn it up and physically drink and when you're done you recap the water bottle and place it on the counter.  This exact example played itself out a few weeks ago when I handed Ash a water bottle and she just held it and stared at it, not knowing what to do next.  After I walked through it and helped her get it open and stepped through what I was doing, it still didn't register at the time.  However, thirty minutes later she was back to fully knowing what to do.  

No doubt, there are other aspects that this area of the brain affects, but if I had to pick one of the biggest things we are dealing with right now; it is, hands down, fatigue.  It is unreal.  Ashley's stamina hasn't been great for some time, but in the past week or so the fatigue level has been on a whole new level.  Lots of sleeping.  Lots of rest time.

I could go on and on about the current state of each aspect of her health, but the bottom line is that we can really notice a drop off.  She sees it, I see it, others see it... It is disheartening but not surprising.

Now, where do we go from here?  If you'll remember, last year we ran into a hurdle with treatment (at that time).  The chemo regimen that she was on was proving to be ineffective.  So we switched to an infusion chemo (that we've been doing and are continuing to do so).  It is not a cure, nor intended to be; but, it works in such a way that we are essentially attempting to choke out the possibility of feeding the tumor a blood supply and thereby restricting its ability to "be fed" and grow.  It's a sound stopgap, but not a long term solution. Because of the previous radiation treatments, this area is not really a candidate for additional radiation.  So the original chemo we started with and radiation are off the table.  As I mentioned earlier, we are continuing onward with the infusion every few weeks.  We are also adding a new chemo that we've not previously tried.  It's a fairly older chemo (as in it's been around for a while).  It functions in the same manner as the original chemo that proved ineffective over time, but there are instances where certain patients respond in a more favorable way to this composition (compared to the one we previously tried).  It's relatively easy to administer.  For Ashley, it's two pills every six weeks (Much better than the 15 pills over five days that the original chemo required). 

We actually started her first course this evening (about 2 hours ago).  Given Ash's predisposition to being nauseous and aversion to eating while on chemo, I see some rocky moments in the near future dealing with some of the side affects of this medication.  Other than that, we really don't have much else to attack this with.  So, we'll buckle down and give it everything we've got.

I specifically asked her doctor what the next few months would look like (knowing full well I am going to get asked that question 100 ways to Sunday).  Her response was genuine, grounding and compassionate: the next few months are going to be pretty tough.

I've got a whole host of thoughts/emotions/analysis/conjecture and I'm sure someday in the near future I'll put all of that together in another post, but for now, it's late and I need to wrap this up.  I, however, don't want to end on that last paragraph because it is super heavy and can choke you if you're not on guard.  So let me finish this post with a final thought.

I titled this post Unto The Hills for a specific reason.  Every day as I take my girls to and from their respective destinations for the day, we listen to the same playlist in the car and in the rotation is a "recently" remade version of Praise You In The Storm done by Natalie Grant.  I was listening to the radio one day and I heard that song come on and the lyrics, specifically the bridge, jumped out of the radio and stuck with me for a while:

I lift my eyes unto the hills
Where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord
The Maker of heaven and earth
You are my help

We are no doubt in a storm, have been for a few years.  There are moments when the winds grant some reprieve and the waters settle a bit, but we are always in the midst of the storm.  Barring some sort of God-given medical miracle (which is entirely possible, but not to be banked on), we've known the ending to this medical journey.  We've had time to process, we've had time to reflect, we've had time to grieve, we've had time to rest... but last Friday was another burdening weight.  Ash and I both feel it, we know the weight is only growing heavier.  It would be easy to be consumed with the fleeting moments of despair that come along with the news we received.  I'd be lying if I haven't felt those breath-extinguishing, demoralizing moments, but... err, BUT those words are literally resonating in my head (which at this moment I rely on to direct my heart): I lift my eyes unto the hills, where does my help come from? The next line is life giving and I mean that in the most literal way possible, My help comes from the Lord.  It's palpable, tangible.  There is absolutely no way out of this without the Lord.  There is nothing outside of His sovereignty.  He is ever-present in our time of need, and I'll tell you there has been a lot of need in our household lately which is good because that 'ever-present' is also true.  God, in his mercy, has upheld us.  In His grace, he has given us moments of deeper connection with Himself and with each other as husband and wife.  Take heart.  If this post has burdened you, use this as a springboard to approach the throne.  Intercede on our behalf, present your own requests, find your help in the Lord; take the yoke that Jesus offers... it is easy and the burden is light.

There will certainly be more updates in the near future.  For now though, it's nearly 1AM and I need to go to sleep...  Thank you for taking a few moments to read through our update.

Comments

  1. I can’t imagine being on your journey, but I know the one who can and does. May you always hold tight to the one who loves you more than you can know. My love and prayers always. ❤️🙏
    Kathleen Reeves

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love Ashley and your family so much. I read all of this and my heart breaks. We will continue to pray for you all. This has been a LONG road to say the least. That song might be the most powerful one I have ever heard. Cannot tell you how many times I’ve listened in my car over the years. I’m so very sorry that you guys are going through this. I know there really aren’t any right words but you are loved and thought about and prayed for often. Thank you for continuing to update. I’m not ever on FB so I am thankful to be able to come to this blog. Much much love to you all- Sacha, Buddy and Troy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am praying for all of you and I am praising God that Ashley has you with her. You are an amazing partner in her life and I am praying for you! God has all of you and I am so sorry you all have had to go through all you have been through, but I can see the strength He has given you and I know He will carry you all the way in this journey as He will Ashley and the girls. May God answer all of our prayers and may He give Ashley a Miracle!!! Always praying! Much love to all of you! Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you David for your constant faith and support of Ashley through all of this! Praying for you guys! -Whitney Brown

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying always. Your faith astounds me. Your dedication astounds me. You are a beautiful family. I am honored to have met you all. God is using all of you in mighty ways. To God be the glory, great things he is doing. Praying for Ashley.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Thanks so much, David, for sharing this… We will continue to pray for y’all! Smitty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for God’s peace and comfort for all of you. For the Lord God is an everlasting rock.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I learned of your situation through Jake at Munger Place and am now including you in my prayers on a daily basis. Blessings, love and strength to your family

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Here We Are

I've tried to sit down and write this post about three times.  Every time I make it about a solid paragraph in and I scrap it to start over.  The first pass was already going to be really long winded and detailed.  The second was a little better, but opened the door for about a million rabbit trails to take. I think I've settled on the following for both time and posterity; back to a stream of consciousness brain dump... at least you know you're getting the freshest content. :) Ash was a gentle (most of the time :) ), compassionate heartbeat.  She had this unwavering focus to point others to Jesus.  She loved deeply  and had this ability to meet anyone where they were and pull them in.  She knew me better than anyone and (even in spite of that :) ), she loved me.  She was a tender-hearted mother that loved her girls more than most anything else.  She was passionate for caring for children (summers in other countries working in orphanages, working preschool ministry, her car

Merciful Rest

Today. May 14, 2022. A day that'll be etched into my memory for the rest of my life. It's the day my wife died. It's the day that holds moments that hurt worse than anything I've felt before. It's also the day that has brought some of the greatest episodes of hope I've ever seen. The past 72 hours have been some of the most rigorous as a caretaker.  These day have reminded me so very much of where we began this journey four and a half years ago in the ICU at UAB after her surgery, though, with one major difference... during those days I prayed earnestly for my wife to be saved and to recover.  These past few days have been filled with nothing but prayers of thankfulness and for mercy. I didn't sleep Thursday into Friday.  Ash required medications every hour and she was already showing signs of getting ready to leave her earthly body.  So aside from 15 minutes here and 20 minutes there... I embraced my former collegiate life and pulled an all-nighter. (Defini

Unexpectedly Expected

Good Evening- **Disclaimer: I'm an engineer.  I'm not a writer.  I did not major in English.  I prefer a mix of stream of consciousness and storytelling  as opposed to a formal MLA style paper.  If that really bothers you, I'm sorry and you will struggle through my posts.** Originally, I thought this would be the best medium to distribute information about the journey we are on.  I was wrong.  Even though it seems the sporadic updates I've gotten today have felt fewer and farther between than I would have liked, it all really came at a speed that was too fast to distribute through this blog. So, I imagine going forward this may be used as a milestone platform.  There will be honest, blunt communication of what's going on.  There will also be some behind-the-scenes analysis of everything.  I can't promise these will be short posts, but I can promise they'll be real and they'll be raw. So, let's start with today.  October 24, 2017 .  A