Skip to main content

Faith and Easter

I love Easter.  I love it so much.  I love ALL of the miracles we are reminded of during the Easter season.  I have no idea what the bunny is about, but, I do know that Easter Sunday of 1995 is when 7 year old Ashley gave her life to Christ.  BEST. DECISION. I'VE. EVER. MADE.  Seriously, the BEST!

Please enjoy the picture.  It makes me smile from the inside out.  The missing tooth, the homemade Easter dress (courtesy of my mom), the glamorous red carpet, my mom's radiant smile AND (even though you can't hear it in the picture) the organ playing I Have Decided to Follow Jesus.

Ok, all giggles aside, becoming a Christian course corrected my life.  It wasn't a dramatic change on the outside (at least for me).  It was a precious first step.  Repent.  From there, God continued to work on my heart.  I grew in my faith.  Slowly.  I didn't have all of the answers overnight, but the growth in Jesus I experienced was daily, weekly and it came from believing God's Word.  It was trusting that those Words were true and following them in love.  I was not perfect (I'm still not perfect, nowhere close), but I was (and praise God, still am) growing.  My faith was increasing.

My life had steep valleys long before I was diagnosed with cancer.  It's never been an easy road.  But, PRAISE GOD, He reached down for me, held me, rescued me, supported me and delighted in saving me.

He reached down from on high
and took hold of me;
he pulled me out of deep water.
He rescued me from my powerful enemy
and from those who hated me,
for they were too strong for me.
They confronted me in the day of my calamity,
but the Lord was my support.
He brought me out to a spacious place;
he rescued me because he delighted in me.
Psalm 18:16-19

I don't love being sick.  Not at all.  When I hear someone say they have cancer, my heart clinches.  I feel sick knowing what they may go through.  Knowing the number of needles they'll face...  Seriously, WHY SO MANY NEEDES?!  Radiation, chemotherapy, nausea, seizures, dehydration, hair loss, friends in the community dying.  I'm confident that you have experienced trials.  Something has gone awry in your life.  What ever it is, I think we all know, suffering hurtsIt hurts really, really badly.  It is NOT kind; but, having gone through some intense waves of suffering, I know this... SUFFERING IS GOOD FOR ME!  That's what refines my faith.  That's where my faith grows.  That's what provides confidence in God's provision.

This road is hard.  Really, really hard.  I've been blessed to share parts of my story with others.  People have often asked, 'How do you do it?'  Sometimes I freeze because the answer feels so complicated.  The reality is, it's not complicated.  The answer is simple: It's Faith.  Looking back, the trials of the last (almost) two years feel overwhelming and insurmountable.  Thanks be to God, for HE has been my steady way finder, my guide and my refuge.

Looking back on my life to this point, it is evident how every trial faced, every disappointment delivered, every scare experienced; they have all ended in my faith growing greater.  I've grown intimately nearer to the Lord.

There have been times on this cancer journey where my faith has been weaker.  Even in those moments of my poor faith, God is always faithful.  He is always good.  It doesn't mean I get what I want or even what I pray for, but it does mean He grows for Himself the most glory and is ultimately providing for my most good.

I've been remembering back to my surgery.  I had (literally) thousands of people praying for everything to go smoothly.  People were praying all over America and throughout different countries (so incredible!) that surgery would be successful.  The surgery was incredibly well planned.  There were over 10 doctors in the operating room.  I saw each of them that morning and love the fact that they were all given gifts by God to do the work they do.  I am absolutely confident that I had the A-Team.  They were ready.  I was ready.  It all started well, BUT for reasons not known to me, it all fell apart.  Perfect planning, amazing doctors, prayer upon prayer... it all fell apart.  God heard each prayer!  He heard each plea!  God knew that the plan would be different than what we wanted/expected.  I don't understand it, but I can trust it.

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD.  For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts.
Isaiah 55:9

Joy sat right next to my sadness.  It hugged my despair.  Peace held my hands.  The overwhelming thoughts of the future was cradled by the God who knows the number of every star in the sky.

I wouldn't have ever chosen brain cancer as a trial to face; but, I'm thankful God saw fit for this to be my journey.  It has created a resiliency in my faith that I otherwise wouldn't have known.  I pray for God's glory to be brighter through this trial.  For the Gospel of Jesus, His Glory, and my refinement through fire... I will continue to praise Him; I'll endure because He is my strength.  I know a time is coming where there is no more suffering and the tears will be wiped away for those who trust and believe.

You rejoice in this, even though now for a short time, if necessary, you suffer grief in various trials so that the proven character of your faith-more valuable than gold which, though perishable, is refined by fire-may result in praise, glory, and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.  Though you have not seen him, you love him; though not seeing him now, you believe in him, and you rejoice with inexpressible and glorious joy, because you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls.
1 Peter 1:6-9

Thank you to everyone who continues to love on us so kindly.  We are grateful to have so many prayer warriors standing in the gap.  My next scan is on June 7th.  It will be my first scan without having chemo (or any treatment for that matter) for three months.  Thinking about that scan can be overwhelming, but what an opportunity to continue to trust in what the Lord is doing!

Comments

  1. Lifting you and your little family up in prayer regularly. Your faith is astonishing! I can't begin to really understand where your heart is in this journey. Just know I'm standing with you and pleading the blood of Jesus over you for your physical healing and His perfect will to be accomplished for His Glory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cyndi, your prayers and encouragement are a gift.

      Delete
  2. Always praying for you and your family! Thank you for sharing your faith and even your fears. It leaves me in awe every time I read your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leslie, I am really grateful for your friendship <3

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Here We Are

I've tried to sit down and write this post about three times.  Every time I make it about a solid paragraph in and I scrap it to start over.  The first pass was already going to be really long winded and detailed.  The second was a little better, but opened the door for about a million rabbit trails to take. I think I've settled on the following for both time and posterity; back to a stream of consciousness brain dump... at least you know you're getting the freshest content. :) Ash was a gentle (most of the time :) ), compassionate heartbeat.  She had this unwavering focus to point others to Jesus.  She loved deeply  and had this ability to meet anyone where they were and pull them in.  She knew me better than anyone and (even in spite of that :) ), she loved me.  She was a tender-hearted mother that loved her girls more than most anything else.  She was passionate for caring for children (summers in other countries working in orphanages, working preschool ministry, her car

Merciful Rest

Today. May 14, 2022. A day that'll be etched into my memory for the rest of my life. It's the day my wife died. It's the day that holds moments that hurt worse than anything I've felt before. It's also the day that has brought some of the greatest episodes of hope I've ever seen. The past 72 hours have been some of the most rigorous as a caretaker.  These day have reminded me so very much of where we began this journey four and a half years ago in the ICU at UAB after her surgery, though, with one major difference... during those days I prayed earnestly for my wife to be saved and to recover.  These past few days have been filled with nothing but prayers of thankfulness and for mercy. I didn't sleep Thursday into Friday.  Ash required medications every hour and she was already showing signs of getting ready to leave her earthly body.  So aside from 15 minutes here and 20 minutes there... I embraced my former collegiate life and pulled an all-nighter. (Defini

Unexpectedly Expected

Good Evening- **Disclaimer: I'm an engineer.  I'm not a writer.  I did not major in English.  I prefer a mix of stream of consciousness and storytelling  as opposed to a formal MLA style paper.  If that really bothers you, I'm sorry and you will struggle through my posts.** Originally, I thought this would be the best medium to distribute information about the journey we are on.  I was wrong.  Even though it seems the sporadic updates I've gotten today have felt fewer and farther between than I would have liked, it all really came at a speed that was too fast to distribute through this blog. So, I imagine going forward this may be used as a milestone platform.  There will be honest, blunt communication of what's going on.  There will also be some behind-the-scenes analysis of everything.  I can't promise these will be short posts, but I can promise they'll be real and they'll be raw. So, let's start with today.  October 24, 2017 .  A