Skip to main content

Cancer and COVID

 I cry out to God Most High,
to God, who vindicates me.
He sends from heaven and saves me,
rebuking those who hotly pursue me
God sends forth his love and his faithfulness...

For great is your love, reaching to the heavens;
your faithfulness reaches to the skies.
Be exalted, O God, above the heavens;
let your glory be over all the earth.

Psalm 57 2-3;10-11

Sweet friends, we love you and are so grateful for the ways you have loved and cared for us.  It has been quite the blessing of friendship.

In recent days, our house has certainly felt the familiar feeling of "this is too much... again".  Earlier this month, I tested positive for COVID.  Cancer and COVID... it's been really, really hard.  The waves that are lapping against our boat are certainly growing stronger at times.  The seas are rocking harder and harder and if I'm honest, I'm ready for a break. Oh God, would you give us a lifeboat.

My personal experience with COVID is unique to me and I'm sure that there are plenty of stories that are much less severe and, no doubt, there are stories that are far worse than mine, but having cancer and COVID is a bad combination.  My body is so weak and the virus is so strong.  There were lots of unknowns, lots of decisions to make as part of "treating" it and certainly plenty of doubt in that "treatment".  I felt/feel scared.  My heart was/is weary.  It was/is hard.  Plenty of tears.

But the more time I spent in isolation, I realized this isn't about me.  It isn't about COVID.  It isn't about cancer.  It IS about trials.  It IS about hardship.  It IS about knowing God more intimately.  I pray God would continue to use these trials to grow my faith, to increase my hope and to build my confidence.  I've asked Him to teach me more of who He is.  That in anything we have to deal with, that He'd help me to seek Him in all circumstances.

Here are some truths I've been reminded of recently...

He is the creator of all things.  The one who knit us together in our mother's womb, can count each hair on my head, knows each star by names, knows the number of my days, controls lightness and darkness, given me each breath, and that He can speak and calm the storm.

I see God continuing to teach me new things and reinforce things He's shown me before.  He is good and great.  He is full of unfailing love.  He provided the ultimate sacrifice to be made right with Him. He is my King, my Prince of Peace, my Provider and my Healer.  He is righteous, almighty, faithful and true.  He cares so much for us.  He is always near.

So here I am diving deeper into who God is... his power and kindness.  It is refreshing to my soul during a time of LONG suffering.  His love, His name, His power.  The trials don't go away, but God has been faithful to draw me closer to Himself through them.

The process is not perfect. By no means have I dealt with these trials perfectly.  Sometimes I need more time to simmer into these truths.  So, as authentically as I can say this, it took more time than I want to admit for me to embrace some of these truths.  God is so GREAT.  Even when this is so HARD, God is Great.  He knew just where I was struggling and in a way only God could, He gently came near and showered me with love.  He didn't shame me, He didn't look at me disappointingly.  He showed mercy and grace.

God knows our suffering more deeply than even we do.  In moments when we can see our suffering as a blessing, I think it's those moments where God really pulls us closer.

I am thankful that He is showing me His perfect love and that I am fully believing in His promises.  It's taken some struggles but the outcome is being able to trust in Him without hesitation.  The joy of the Lord is truly strength. It is beautiful and I want it to last forever.

This season has been hard.  But, it's also been a reminder to pray boldly.  This world is broken.  My body is broken.  Cancer is kicking my tail and COVID hasn't helped.  It brought on much fear; but even with all of that... I'm grateful.  It seems weird to say that, but I am.  My body is SO tired. I don't feel good. I don't have much strength. In my weakness, though, God's power is made perfect.  He continues to carry me.  He is over everything.  Even though we follow Christ, it doesn't mean we are necessarily healed here on Earth, but it does mean that He is above every trial and every sickness (including mine).  Surrendering to Jesus is the only way to bring peace, peace that can't be understood apart from Him.

Thankfully, even though it's taking a long time, my COVID symptoms are gradually improving.  My cough is diminishing, my voice is slowly coming back, my body still feels crummy at times and my vitals are holding strong and steady.  The moments of short breaths are much less frequent.  Praying that God would continue to bring healing for this virus.

I know that my redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand on the earth.

Job 19:25

Thank you so much for listening, caring, reminding me of the blessing of fellowship.

Comments

  1. Our God is Great. When we cry out He hears us and brings exactly what is needed and when we need it. I am so glad you are improving slowly. I love you and am praying for you and all the family. Faith, Trust,and Perserverance are ours if we totally let go and let our Savior carry us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry you had to go through all of this!!! But you are truly the most Faithful servant of God I have ever known!!! Know that you are prayed for and loved and praying for your precious family too!!!! God is good all the time and all the time God is good. He will walk with you through this!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Here We Are

I've tried to sit down and write this post about three times.  Every time I make it about a solid paragraph in and I scrap it to start over.  The first pass was already going to be really long winded and detailed.  The second was a little better, but opened the door for about a million rabbit trails to take. I think I've settled on the following for both time and posterity; back to a stream of consciousness brain dump... at least you know you're getting the freshest content. :) Ash was a gentle (most of the time :) ), compassionate heartbeat.  She had this unwavering focus to point others to Jesus.  She loved deeply  and had this ability to meet anyone where they were and pull them in.  She knew me better than anyone and (even in spite of that :) ), she loved me.  She was a tender-hearted mother that loved her girls more than most anything else.  She was passionate for caring for children (summers in other countries working in orphanages, working preschool ministry, her car

Merciful Rest

Today. May 14, 2022. A day that'll be etched into my memory for the rest of my life. It's the day my wife died. It's the day that holds moments that hurt worse than anything I've felt before. It's also the day that has brought some of the greatest episodes of hope I've ever seen. The past 72 hours have been some of the most rigorous as a caretaker.  These day have reminded me so very much of where we began this journey four and a half years ago in the ICU at UAB after her surgery, though, with one major difference... during those days I prayed earnestly for my wife to be saved and to recover.  These past few days have been filled with nothing but prayers of thankfulness and for mercy. I didn't sleep Thursday into Friday.  Ash required medications every hour and she was already showing signs of getting ready to leave her earthly body.  So aside from 15 minutes here and 20 minutes there... I embraced my former collegiate life and pulled an all-nighter. (Defini

Unexpectedly Expected

Good Evening- **Disclaimer: I'm an engineer.  I'm not a writer.  I did not major in English.  I prefer a mix of stream of consciousness and storytelling  as opposed to a formal MLA style paper.  If that really bothers you, I'm sorry and you will struggle through my posts.** Originally, I thought this would be the best medium to distribute information about the journey we are on.  I was wrong.  Even though it seems the sporadic updates I've gotten today have felt fewer and farther between than I would have liked, it all really came at a speed that was too fast to distribute through this blog. So, I imagine going forward this may be used as a milestone platform.  There will be honest, blunt communication of what's going on.  There will also be some behind-the-scenes analysis of everything.  I can't promise these will be short posts, but I can promise they'll be real and they'll be raw. So, let's start with today.  October 24, 2017 .  A