Skip to main content

A Story To Tell...

There's some exciting news on the home front; a welcomed respite from the struggles of the recent months.

If you'll remember a post or two ago, I mentioned that Ashley had been working on a side project.

I called it a side project because we'd been working through a lot of the struggles that came along with her cancer, but in reality, this project consumed a lot of Ashley's time and energy.  It was not a side project.

Over the course of the past 2+ years, maybe even longer than that, Ashley has been working on a book.  You read that correctly, a book.  A children's book, more specifically, entitled it When I Hold You.  I cannot think of a better name for this book.
I could go on about the backstory (and probably will in the coming days), but I'll put some of Ashley's words below about why she wrote this and how it all came to pass:
I wrote this out of obedience to Christ.  As I started my recovery from my initial surgery and treatments, I never set out with the intention to write a book.  I just wanted to put my words together for my daughters to have something to read and know that God is ever present.  The further I got in to the process, the more I questioned God on if I could even write this.  As I struggled with my words and my thoughts, I questioned if it would even be possible to finish.  Yet, God called me to step 'out of the boat' and pursue Him all the more. Trusting, with faith, in His plan and in the words He allowed me to find.  At the end of the process, this book became more about being encouraged with God's Word in motherhood and wanting to share that, not only with my own girls, but also with others as well.
Something I extremely excited about is that I get to be Ash's 'Hype Man'.  I know she is excited about finally being able to tell others about this book, but I think, as her husband, I am more excited than she is.  I, both by design and from force of the situation, was not heavily involved in the writing or formation of this book.  Certainly, I offered support along the way, but while managing a majority of the home front and juggling through my own work and her medical ups and downs... her book was the one thing that was solely hers.  Trust me when I tell you this, because it is solely hers, you will see that come through in every single page.  Her compassion and gentleness carefully crafted words that are coupled with a verse on each page.  She labored over writing this and even struggled at times to come up with the right words to use.  I could not be more proud of my wife.  To be diagnosed with terminal cancer, wrestle through treatments, struggle to communicate effectively... with all of that going on, she still yielded her 'blank check' to God and submitted to the direction He led.  There is so much to learn from her and the obedience she shows.
Certainly there will be more posts in the coming days as we begin to flesh out the story behind the book, the look and feel of each page and, ultimately, where we hope it leads those that read it.  For now, I'll leave it at this... My wife has written a book and as we begin to share it with others, we hope you'll come alongside us and do the same.

If you want to check it out for yourself, head over to her publisher's page:
https://www.bhpublishinggroup.com/products/when-i-hold-you/

Or, you can even check out her page on Amazon:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Here We Are

I've tried to sit down and write this post about three times.  Every time I make it about a solid paragraph in and I scrap it to start over.  The first pass was already going to be really long winded and detailed.  The second was a little better, but opened the door for about a million rabbit trails to take. I think I've settled on the following for both time and posterity; back to a stream of consciousness brain dump... at least you know you're getting the freshest content. :) Ash was a gentle (most of the time :) ), compassionate heartbeat.  She had this unwavering focus to point others to Jesus.  She loved deeply  and had this ability to meet anyone where they were and pull them in.  She knew me better than anyone and (even in spite of that :) ), she loved me.  She was a tender-hearted mother that loved her girls more than most anything else.  She was passionate for caring for children (summers in other countries working in orphanages, working preschool ministry, her car

Merciful Rest

Today. May 14, 2022. A day that'll be etched into my memory for the rest of my life. It's the day my wife died. It's the day that holds moments that hurt worse than anything I've felt before. It's also the day that has brought some of the greatest episodes of hope I've ever seen. The past 72 hours have been some of the most rigorous as a caretaker.  These day have reminded me so very much of where we began this journey four and a half years ago in the ICU at UAB after her surgery, though, with one major difference... during those days I prayed earnestly for my wife to be saved and to recover.  These past few days have been filled with nothing but prayers of thankfulness and for mercy. I didn't sleep Thursday into Friday.  Ash required medications every hour and she was already showing signs of getting ready to leave her earthly body.  So aside from 15 minutes here and 20 minutes there... I embraced my former collegiate life and pulled an all-nighter. (Defini

Unexpectedly Expected

Good Evening- **Disclaimer: I'm an engineer.  I'm not a writer.  I did not major in English.  I prefer a mix of stream of consciousness and storytelling  as opposed to a formal MLA style paper.  If that really bothers you, I'm sorry and you will struggle through my posts.** Originally, I thought this would be the best medium to distribute information about the journey we are on.  I was wrong.  Even though it seems the sporadic updates I've gotten today have felt fewer and farther between than I would have liked, it all really came at a speed that was too fast to distribute through this blog. So, I imagine going forward this may be used as a milestone platform.  There will be honest, blunt communication of what's going on.  There will also be some behind-the-scenes analysis of everything.  I can't promise these will be short posts, but I can promise they'll be real and they'll be raw. So, let's start with today.  October 24, 2017 .  A