Skip to main content

The New and The Familiar

It’s real.️ It has a cover. Pages. Words. Rhythms. Pictures. And a Title, When I Hold You. My heart flutters when I see it. The book may have my name on the front, but this is ALL the Lord! 

A few days ago, I got really big box on my front porch. It was HEAVY… like whoa heavy! I definitely should have waited for David to move the box inside. But all is well, the girls and I managed to get it in. I didn't know what was in the box. The girls were having fun opening the box… then before I knew it, I had TEARS! The box was filled with copies of my book!! I was completely overwhelmed. I could feel God being so tender with my heart in those moments. All of those struggles with being able to write met with a crash of praising loudly for all he has done.

Zephaniah 3:17

“The Lord your God is in your midst,

    a mighty one who will save;

he will rejoice over you with gladness;

    he will quiet you by his love;

he will exult over you with loud singing.”


While I was still bubbling in my tears, I realized the girls were still ripping up the box. Fortunately, I found my wits and had a mommy save. So, what did I do? I got those girls some ice cream and hid the box. No shame. :)


In my wildest thoughts, I never thought about writing a book. Yet, God called me to write a children's book. I had so many doubts and just as many excuses. Lord, why are you asking me me to do this? Goodness, the whole idea sounded crazy. Wrong person, please. 


Why did I write “WIHU”? Why did God press it so heart? What was the purpose?

In the most simple and beautiful answer… it was all about OBEDIENCE TO CHRIST. 


Initially, when I was working on the book, I thought it was for my girls to remember me after my battle with terminal cancer. Then God spoke loudly, yet gently, to show me that WIHU is much more than just for my family. God had a better plan than just a personal story for my girls. A plan that I continue to pray would bring more glory to Him. I know that God can take one small phrase or some part of the illustration to bring others closer to Himself. With the scripture in the book, I really hope that others are encouraged by the truth of His faithful love. To hold others in the joy and sorrow.


Writing “WIHU” was anything but easy. The location of my brain cancer makes reading and writing nothing short of a hot MESS. So, when God called me to write this book, I ignored Him for a while. The longer I ignored... the louder and more clearly I heard Him push me in that direction.

 

I felt inadequate to follow where God was calling. I saw my flaws. Yet, He knew me. He made my life. He sees us inside and outside. We are his creation. And his love never, never changes. I knew that if He was indeed calling me, he would absolutely equip me. Even though at the start of this journey, I felt a bit like Jonah, by the end I am thankful and comforted in knowing that obedience to Christ is never unfulfilling. It is never empty. It is always for my good. It has been nothing short of a BLESSING! To get to work through every detail and see how He has provided. Through connecting with a publisher and then an illustrator, it has been nothing short of an encouragement. Through it all, this much is so clear- this one step of obedience has opened so many opportunities.


Being obedient to writing When I Hold You has revealed the fruit of following Christ during days of doubt yet ultimately remembering what God called me to do.


I hope and pray that from the beginning and the end you see God working all through it.


---------------
Now, that we've covered the exciting news here's a snap back to reality.  Tomorrow is a scan day.

I have so many thoughts. At the end of it all though, the day is blanketed in this, 'Trust in God's plan...' There is nothing else than that. I know God to be faithful to bringing glory to His name and regardless of what tomorrow holds, God is still on the throne and I'm still covered by the Blood of the Lamb.  


 Job 22:21-22

“Come to terms with God and be at peace;

in this way good will come to you.

Receive instruction from his mouth,

and place his sayings in your heart.”


He made a plan for me including every day and every detail. ...and every scan.


Is. 25:1


Comments

  1. Every word true. Love you. Praying tomorrow you and David will be filled with God's strength and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love you Ashley from The White House Interiors. We are praying for your scan to be good and for you all to have peace Joy and strength. I would love to carry your book in my store. Ill reach out and see how we can do that. I would also personally Love a signed copy. I think of you and pray for you often . You have shown such strength and Grace. You are the epitome of beauty to me. I carry your note to me in my Bible. Thank you for being so amazing . We love you! Ann Marie James.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love you so much. I don't how or why, but thank you for blessing up.

      Delete
  3. God is truly using your story in a mighty way! Thanks so much for being obedient! ❤️
    Smitty

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ve been following your blog for a little while, getting updates in my inbox and not really even sure how I found it to begin with. My husband and I own a Christian bookstore in Dothan, AL and I can’t wait for our store to get your book from Broadman when it releases. I made sure my hubby ordered plenty of copies! I know God will use it for so much good -as he has your story and testimony. I for one will be making sure everyone in our community knows when we get it in store! Thanks so much for following God’s calling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey!

      I love that you have a Christian book store! I'm grateful for the work you are doing!!

      If like the book, I pray it is a blessing to you and your ministry.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for your obedience Ashley! So many are blessed and encouraged by your walk with God! Can’t wait to get the book! Love you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love you so much Ashley- Sacha Troy and Buddy

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love you so much Ashley- Sacha Troy and Buddy

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love you so much Ashley- Sacha Troy and Buddy

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love you so much Ashley- Sacha Troy and Buddy

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love you so much Ashley- Sacha Troy and Buddy

    ReplyDelete
  11. We love you so much Ashley- Sacha Troy and Buddy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ashley! It’s Whitney Cassidy here (we actually went to high school together! Maiden name is Howsen)
    I want to say how much your story has touched my heart as a mother.
    I received your book in the mail yesterday, and it’s just so sweet and beautiful.
    I shared your story/video with my MOPS group at our Tea and Testimony in the Houston area, and everyone immediately got out their phones to pre-order a copy (or multiples)!
    It’s incredible what you are doing.
    Thank you again Ashley for sharing your story!
    I’m praying daily for peace and comfort for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had the privilege of writing 2 of the devotionals for the Bible.com version of your book. I just want to say how absolutely beautiful your words are. Thank you for surrendering to the call. You have given me the courage to do so, as well. I am praying for your journey and your precious family. Your words will have Kingdom impact.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Here We Are

I've tried to sit down and write this post about three times.  Every time I make it about a solid paragraph in and I scrap it to start over.  The first pass was already going to be really long winded and detailed.  The second was a little better, but opened the door for about a million rabbit trails to take. I think I've settled on the following for both time and posterity; back to a stream of consciousness brain dump... at least you know you're getting the freshest content. :) Ash was a gentle (most of the time :) ), compassionate heartbeat.  She had this unwavering focus to point others to Jesus.  She loved deeply  and had this ability to meet anyone where they were and pull them in.  She knew me better than anyone and (even in spite of that :) ), she loved me.  She was a tender-hearted mother that loved her girls more than most anything else.  She was passionate for caring for children (summers in other countries working in orphanages, working preschool ministry, her car

Merciful Rest

Today. May 14, 2022. A day that'll be etched into my memory for the rest of my life. It's the day my wife died. It's the day that holds moments that hurt worse than anything I've felt before. It's also the day that has brought some of the greatest episodes of hope I've ever seen. The past 72 hours have been some of the most rigorous as a caretaker.  These day have reminded me so very much of where we began this journey four and a half years ago in the ICU at UAB after her surgery, though, with one major difference... during those days I prayed earnestly for my wife to be saved and to recover.  These past few days have been filled with nothing but prayers of thankfulness and for mercy. I didn't sleep Thursday into Friday.  Ash required medications every hour and she was already showing signs of getting ready to leave her earthly body.  So aside from 15 minutes here and 20 minutes there... I embraced my former collegiate life and pulled an all-nighter. (Defini

Unexpectedly Expected

Good Evening- **Disclaimer: I'm an engineer.  I'm not a writer.  I did not major in English.  I prefer a mix of stream of consciousness and storytelling  as opposed to a formal MLA style paper.  If that really bothers you, I'm sorry and you will struggle through my posts.** Originally, I thought this would be the best medium to distribute information about the journey we are on.  I was wrong.  Even though it seems the sporadic updates I've gotten today have felt fewer and farther between than I would have liked, it all really came at a speed that was too fast to distribute through this blog. So, I imagine going forward this may be used as a milestone platform.  There will be honest, blunt communication of what's going on.  There will also be some behind-the-scenes analysis of everything.  I can't promise these will be short posts, but I can promise they'll be real and they'll be raw. So, let's start with today.  October 24, 2017 .  A