Skip to main content

No Surprises, Instead Foundation

There are no surprises to God.  He is not caught off guard by what He is sovereign over.  His unending love, His power, His presence... It is all a part of His character.  Though these trials that we face can catch us off balance, the fact that God is the rock and the foundation to my soul is the one thing that steadies my heart.  Learning to grow in the truth that He, and He alone, is the foundation on which everything hinges is where my heart finds itself these days.

Does that mean it's easy? No. This is absolutely the hardest trial that I'll face and in recent weeks the feeling of struggle and suffering has only increased. There are moments when I find it hard to trust in the plan that the Lord has for me.  There are times that I wonder what's coming around the corner.  The only peace that comes is knowing that God has written this story and has produced it from the beginning and, in ways I won't understand, that by learning to grow in that peace (the kind that only trusting in Jesus offers) I am able to press forward.

Though we are a couple of months away from the anniversary of my initial surgery, that day in late October back in 2017 was a day that was full of the most surprises.  Again, it is by God's grace that He sustained me and my family through those days.  I think back to that season and remember His faithfulness and provision.  Reflecting on God's goodness from moments in the past give way to building even greater trust in His goodness in the present, and if I grow in that trust for these moments in the present, how much more I will be able to trust Him for moments in the future.

Romans 8:26 says, "Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness.  For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words".

My emotions have been all over the place lately.  Frustration, fear, confusion, sadness... they are all playing a game in my head/heart.  God is so capable to handle all of my emotions; He can handle yours too.  I hope that you can see how God cares for you just as He has for me and my family.  He is wonderful and can see us and know us better than we can see and know ourselves.  He created us.

John Piper said in one of his books that 'No faithful suffering is wasted' and I believe that holds true more and more as the days go by. In these days where the wind whirls more and more, Jesus stills my heart.  He is perfect and is my sustaining Almighty.  He is able to do anything and His plan is perfect.  Though there is an increase in suffering, there is also an increase in faith.  I pray that others experience this too.

Tomorrow is another day of scans and appointments.  It will certainly be another day filled with uncertainty.  Since we've discovered that my tumor is progressing and that my ability to speak and remember how to do things is diminishing, tomorrow could help to answer the question of how fast things are changing compared to six weeks ago.

Regardless of what we learn tomorrow, there is one thing that remains true:  God is sovereign.  He is a rock.  He is a fortress.  He sustains.  He provides.  In Him, I will find rest and peace.  There is nothing about this cancer that is surprising to Him.

'...people are like the grass.  Their beauty fades as quickly as the flowers in a field. 
The grass withers and the flowers fade beneath the breath of the Lord. 
And so it is with people.  The grass withers and the flowers fade,
but the word of our God stands forever.'
Isaiah 40:6-8

  

Comments

  1. Trusting the Father to carry you through your scans tomorrow with a peaceful heart! Your faith in His sustaining power is a lesson for all of us. Your NBBC family loves you and yours so very much! Hugs!❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashley,
    I learned of your story through Leslie. I bought your book, and my 15 month son loves it. I think he likes the babies in the pictures. It is one that he chooses for me to read. I love to read it because of the sweet, encouraging text and beautiful illustrations.
    💜 to you and your family,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you!!!!! Praying for you and David to have clarity and peace and strength from our Savior this day and those that follow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending Love and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ashley, I am trusting God to carry you through your scans and may you feel His presence in your life like never before!!! Praying for you and David and the girls to know peace and joy even in the midst of what you are going through. "Your Faith has made you well" and I know God is right there with you!!! You are one of the strongest young women I know. May God bless you with good news!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful mother and daughters. Praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You minister to us all. Thank you.


    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Ashley! Keep being strong and having that deep faith (Matthew 17:20). I rode that verse through a successful brain surgery in 1997. I am in my 30th year of education and I know I came through by the Grace of God. You are an inspiration and you have many people praying for you. Strong strong!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Here We Are

I've tried to sit down and write this post about three times.  Every time I make it about a solid paragraph in and I scrap it to start over.  The first pass was already going to be really long winded and detailed.  The second was a little better, but opened the door for about a million rabbit trails to take. I think I've settled on the following for both time and posterity; back to a stream of consciousness brain dump... at least you know you're getting the freshest content. :) Ash was a gentle (most of the time :) ), compassionate heartbeat.  She had this unwavering focus to point others to Jesus.  She loved deeply  and had this ability to meet anyone where they were and pull them in.  She knew me better than anyone and (even in spite of that :) ), she loved me.  She was a tender-hearted mother that loved her girls more than most anything else.  She was passionate for caring for children (summers in other countries working in orphanages, working preschool ministry, her car

Merciful Rest

Today. May 14, 2022. A day that'll be etched into my memory for the rest of my life. It's the day my wife died. It's the day that holds moments that hurt worse than anything I've felt before. It's also the day that has brought some of the greatest episodes of hope I've ever seen. The past 72 hours have been some of the most rigorous as a caretaker.  These day have reminded me so very much of where we began this journey four and a half years ago in the ICU at UAB after her surgery, though, with one major difference... during those days I prayed earnestly for my wife to be saved and to recover.  These past few days have been filled with nothing but prayers of thankfulness and for mercy. I didn't sleep Thursday into Friday.  Ash required medications every hour and she was already showing signs of getting ready to leave her earthly body.  So aside from 15 minutes here and 20 minutes there... I embraced my former collegiate life and pulled an all-nighter. (Defini

Unexpectedly Expected

Good Evening- **Disclaimer: I'm an engineer.  I'm not a writer.  I did not major in English.  I prefer a mix of stream of consciousness and storytelling  as opposed to a formal MLA style paper.  If that really bothers you, I'm sorry and you will struggle through my posts.** Originally, I thought this would be the best medium to distribute information about the journey we are on.  I was wrong.  Even though it seems the sporadic updates I've gotten today have felt fewer and farther between than I would have liked, it all really came at a speed that was too fast to distribute through this blog. So, I imagine going forward this may be used as a milestone platform.  There will be honest, blunt communication of what's going on.  There will also be some behind-the-scenes analysis of everything.  I can't promise these will be short posts, but I can promise they'll be real and they'll be raw. So, let's start with today.  October 24, 2017 .  A