Skip to main content

The Worthwhile Wilt

Leaning into beautiful scripture. Perfect wind outside. I can hear the birds from my kitchen. Outside the girls have planted zinnias that have grown taller than they are. As the summer heat has beat down on the zinnias, they are beginning to wilt. Life circumstances seem to be the sun beating down on our family at this time. We often feel as if we too are wilting. 

The grass withers, the flower fades,

but the word of our Lord will stand forever.

Isaiah 40:8

The wind, the birds, and the flowers are all a part of God’s amazing creation. So is the sun. That very same sun that causes the flowers to wither. In His sovereignty, He allows the sun to shine although other parts of His creation will fade. I am a very loved part of His creation but the heart of life circumstances has beat down on our family… all of this happening under His sovereign plan. Many of you can identify with life circumstances that seem to beat down on you. 

In the mornings, when the girls are getting up for school, our youngest would prefer a few more minutes in bed instead of eagerly jumping up to face the day as the eldest does. Many of us would prefer to stay in bed and pull the covers over our head rather than face the hard things that await us. How can we face these things that threaten to wilt us? First things first, we must realize we are not alone in the battle. HE is with us. His love is ever ready to step in, encourage us, and to press us to lean in harder and trust in Him. 


The trials of cancer continue at our house. Side effects of drugs, battles with pharmacies over getting medications on time, and trying to protect our family from the other illnesses that are running rampant in our community.  Trials are hard. Trials are real. Trials are tough. Trials are inevitable. Trials are also guaranteed in our lives. God uses trials that we yield back to Him for His purpose.


Consider it a great joy, my brothers and sisters, 

whenever you experience various trials, because 

you know that the testing of your faith produces 

endurance. And let endurance have its full effect, 

so that you may be mature and complete, 

lacking nothing.

James 1:2-4


When our tank was empty, You loved us. It is nothing short of grace that You help me push away those prideful thoughts in different areas. I never wanted to feel like “I need help with …” but the reality is, I do need help. I’m  now using a walker; and I’ll tell you, the pangs of pride kick in when you are 34 and having to use a walker. 

So, as it sits today, I’m on a new chemo that I started 6 or 7 weeks ago.  It hasn’t really had a significant set of side effects so that is a most gracious blessing and based on the last scans things don’t really appear to have progressed much.  I will certainly count that as a victory.  David has had some struggles with getting the next round because of some issues on the pharmacy’s end, but it appears that those are resolved and I should be starting my next round of chemo this weekend. I’m hopeful it continues to keep my cancer from growing.


The more struggles I face, the more I see an opportunity for God’s Glory to be known and increase.  My balance is failing me, my words fall short, my memory fades, but God sustains me (as only He can do).  He is the bedrock for my life and it is only by resting on that rock that I’m here to speak to how gracious He is.

My physical future may be growing dimmer as time moves on. It seems my days are growing in the challenge and no doubt it is only going to be harder….BUT His word is worthy. His call is worthy.  HE is worthy. He is the beginning and end. He is perfect.


Who covers the sky with clouds,

prepares rain for the earth,

and causes grass to grow on the hills.

Psalm 147:8


God is our refuge and strength,

a helper who is always found

in times of trouble.

Therefore we will not be afraid,

though the earth trembles…

Psalm 46:1-2a


Now we have this treasure in clay jars, so that this 

extraordinary power may be from God and not from us. 

We are afflicted in every way but not crushed; we are 

perplexed but not in despair; we are persecuted but not 

abandoned; we are struck down but not destroyed. 

We always carry the death of Jesus in our body, so that the 

life of Jesus may also be displayed in our body.

2 Corinthians 4:7-10

Comments

  1. I love you!!! This has hit home for me in my trials. Thank you so much for your constant faith and glorifying our amazing Savior.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 38 year old niece, whom I loved dearly, recently died suddenly. In my grief, the Lord took me to 2 Corr. 6, where Paul is speaking of the hardships they were suffering. Verse 10 really spoke to my heart..." sorrowful, yet always rejoicing"
    Your sharing today is a lovely example of that. We can be filled with sorrow, yet rejoice that the Lord is with us, by our side, in every step. He alone makes it possible!
    You are such a light! Love you and your family so much. Continually lifting you to Him...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you Ashley. Thank you so much for sharing your journey and God’s love - Sacha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley you may never know how many people you have touched and encouraged. But you are a bright light in a dark world today! May God do what only HE can do and may HE give you a Miracle healing in the Name of Jesus!! You are loved by so many and your Faith has been a highlight of your journey! Yours and your husband's. May God bless you both and those beautiful little girls!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Ashley, As I read your post, I reflected on the depth of spirituality that you and David have experienced. It is not lost on your girls. They are quietly observing and God is preparing them for their future walk with Him. I also reflect on the joy the Lord has given you in the midst of adversity and trials. Even as you feel a "melting" effect, God is preparing a "rejuvenation" effect. Thank you for sharing the depths of your heart and your incredible journey. Love you so much! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ashley, thank you for sharing your heart, your faith and your persistence. You are so incredibly strong and such a light for so many. I don’t understand life or the whys but what I do know is that we have a good, good FATHER. LOVE YOU!
    Britt

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Jesus, for Ashley. Thank you Jesus, for making a way where there is no way. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ashley! I've been so encouraged by your life and found out about you by your book. Everytime I read it, I pray for you and your family. I just wanted to share the names of a doctor and holistic professional who may be able to help you in your cancer journey. Their names are Dr. Raymond Hilu and Andrea Thompson. I heard about them through Beni Johnson from Bethel Church in Redding, CA. I hope they might be able to help you somehow. In the meanwhile, just know you have someone praying for you to be healed fully in Jesus' name! 🙏🏼❤

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Here We Are

I've tried to sit down and write this post about three times.  Every time I make it about a solid paragraph in and I scrap it to start over.  The first pass was already going to be really long winded and detailed.  The second was a little better, but opened the door for about a million rabbit trails to take. I think I've settled on the following for both time and posterity; back to a stream of consciousness brain dump... at least you know you're getting the freshest content. :) Ash was a gentle (most of the time :) ), compassionate heartbeat.  She had this unwavering focus to point others to Jesus.  She loved deeply  and had this ability to meet anyone where they were and pull them in.  She knew me better than anyone and (even in spite of that :) ), she loved me.  She was a tender-hearted mother that loved her girls more than most anything else.  She was passionate for caring for children (summers in other countries working in orphanages, working preschool ministry, her car

Merciful Rest

Today. May 14, 2022. A day that'll be etched into my memory for the rest of my life. It's the day my wife died. It's the day that holds moments that hurt worse than anything I've felt before. It's also the day that has brought some of the greatest episodes of hope I've ever seen. The past 72 hours have been some of the most rigorous as a caretaker.  These day have reminded me so very much of where we began this journey four and a half years ago in the ICU at UAB after her surgery, though, with one major difference... during those days I prayed earnestly for my wife to be saved and to recover.  These past few days have been filled with nothing but prayers of thankfulness and for mercy. I didn't sleep Thursday into Friday.  Ash required medications every hour and she was already showing signs of getting ready to leave her earthly body.  So aside from 15 minutes here and 20 minutes there... I embraced my former collegiate life and pulled an all-nighter. (Defini

Unexpectedly Expected

Good Evening- **Disclaimer: I'm an engineer.  I'm not a writer.  I did not major in English.  I prefer a mix of stream of consciousness and storytelling  as opposed to a formal MLA style paper.  If that really bothers you, I'm sorry and you will struggle through my posts.** Originally, I thought this would be the best medium to distribute information about the journey we are on.  I was wrong.  Even though it seems the sporadic updates I've gotten today have felt fewer and farther between than I would have liked, it all really came at a speed that was too fast to distribute through this blog. So, I imagine going forward this may be used as a milestone platform.  There will be honest, blunt communication of what's going on.  There will also be some behind-the-scenes analysis of everything.  I can't promise these will be short posts, but I can promise they'll be real and they'll be raw. So, let's start with today.  October 24, 2017 .  A