Skip to main content

Mobility

Mobility is a term often used to indicate the ability to move or rather the relative ease associated with moving.  A lack of it would mean that something is resistant to motion.  Think of the Tin Man from The Wizard of Oz before he got the oil can and loosened up his joints.  I spent the better part of the Summer months being immobilized.  I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, especially given all that I was trying to process at the time.  With Ash passing away in May, those first three months were a chaotic storm of trying to figure out my head from a hole in the ground.  As time has continued forward, I've had to navigate a lot of new things.  A lot of firsts.  A lot of 'how-to' moments as a single parent.  There have been so many moments I wish I could've had my bride by my side to ask what she thought.  But... here I am...  negotiating the days solo.  I, like everyone else, definitely have good and bad days.  I found myself being more easily frustrated at the start of this holiday season, but some time to slow down and rest have done me some good.  My attitude has definitely healed some.

As today has unfolded, I've just been met with the fact over and over that things change.  Time moves forward.  I may think I know what I'm doing, only to find out that I'm just as clueless at the end of the day as I was at the start.  Something that the Lord is really starting to hammer home is that He uses change and unsettled moments to affect the greatest change in my life.  I mean, that's kind of a 'duh' statement if you think about it.  How can I grow and look more like Jesus without changing?  Change begets change though.  I strive so hard to get a routine established, but if there is never any deviation or grounds for spontaneity how can there be opportunity to grow into something different from what I already am.  How can I expect my kids to handle and navigate changing circumstances if they never get practice with change.

Proverbs 16:9 is a verse that continues to resonate (I say this because I've quoted this numerous times over the past few weeks), 'The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps." I definitely think there is value in trying to establish a baseline rhythm for my household, but we have to be mobile enough to know that the Lord is the one who establishes the steps we'll go.  

With a new year unfolding as the clock strikes midnight, time will continue to march forward.  We'll enter a new year, a year that will be all new for my family.  We'll be leaving 2022 behind... the year my wife died.  We're stepping into a year my wife never knew.  We'll be stepping into a year of untold stories, new opportunities, and a continuing mission.  So, here's to being growing in mobility... in whatever way that looks like...  to being flexible enough to say yes to change, wise enough to embrace the moments that refine character, and eager enough to put our heads down and get to work.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Here We Are

I've tried to sit down and write this post about three times.  Every time I make it about a solid paragraph in and I scrap it to start over.  The first pass was already going to be really long winded and detailed.  The second was a little better, but opened the door for about a million rabbit trails to take. I think I've settled on the following for both time and posterity; back to a stream of consciousness brain dump... at least you know you're getting the freshest content. :) Ash was a gentle (most of the time :) ), compassionate heartbeat.  She had this unwavering focus to point others to Jesus.  She loved deeply  and had this ability to meet anyone where they were and pull them in.  She knew me better than anyone and (even in spite of that :) ), she loved me.  She was a tender-hearted mother that loved her girls more than most anything else.  She was passionate for caring for children (summers in other countries working in orphanages, working preschool ministry, her car

Merciful Rest

Today. May 14, 2022. A day that'll be etched into my memory for the rest of my life. It's the day my wife died. It's the day that holds moments that hurt worse than anything I've felt before. It's also the day that has brought some of the greatest episodes of hope I've ever seen. The past 72 hours have been some of the most rigorous as a caretaker.  These day have reminded me so very much of where we began this journey four and a half years ago in the ICU at UAB after her surgery, though, with one major difference... during those days I prayed earnestly for my wife to be saved and to recover.  These past few days have been filled with nothing but prayers of thankfulness and for mercy. I didn't sleep Thursday into Friday.  Ash required medications every hour and she was already showing signs of getting ready to leave her earthly body.  So aside from 15 minutes here and 20 minutes there... I embraced my former collegiate life and pulled an all-nighter. (Defini

Unexpectedly Expected

Good Evening- **Disclaimer: I'm an engineer.  I'm not a writer.  I did not major in English.  I prefer a mix of stream of consciousness and storytelling  as opposed to a formal MLA style paper.  If that really bothers you, I'm sorry and you will struggle through my posts.** Originally, I thought this would be the best medium to distribute information about the journey we are on.  I was wrong.  Even though it seems the sporadic updates I've gotten today have felt fewer and farther between than I would have liked, it all really came at a speed that was too fast to distribute through this blog. So, I imagine going forward this may be used as a milestone platform.  There will be honest, blunt communication of what's going on.  There will also be some behind-the-scenes analysis of everything.  I can't promise these will be short posts, but I can promise they'll be real and they'll be raw. So, let's start with today.  October 24, 2017 .  A