Skip to main content

Sailing with Cheap Wood

The day started at 10° today.  Frigid.  Being one to love 'fun' experiences, I stepped outside for a minute.  It was absolutely one of the coldest environments I've been in in recent memories.  A free session of cryotherapy.  In all seriousness though, it was a moment of feeling.  A genuine moment to feel pain, thrill and a spur of questioning 'why am I doing this?'.  I both enjoyed the moment and, yet, at the same time couldn't wait to get back inside.

Why start with a story about what I did this morning?  Simply put, I'm finding that it's a good analogy for life right now.  I go from moments of just doing the same old, same old to seeking an abrupt change/desire to do something exhilarating.  Am I successful at finding those things? No, not especially; but the desire is present all the same.  I've been told a hundred times (reading back through parts of this and this is definitely hyperbole, it's more like twenty) that I need to use this Christmas break to take some time and travel and go do something exciting and for myself.  Most of the time I agree with those sentiments, but the reality is, I am not great at actually doing any of that (I know, I know... there are now opportunities to get better at it).  ...but, I loathe logistics.  I was never the trip planner.  Ash was.  She had the idea, she'd make the calls, she'd book the stays... my job was to take those plans and make it happen: transportation, food, etc.  That's what we'd do.  That's how we operated.  It worked great.  We both had ownership and trusted each other to get done what needed to get done.  Half of my team is gone, the half that started the ball rolling.  So here we are... in the midst of a Christmas break with a period of 'free' time and I have set sail with cheap wood.  I'm half way through this period and have no discernible plans to actually go do anything.  Sure there have been ideas, but I flounder in the actual planning and execution.  I essentially am drifting in the water with no rudder and slowly taking on water (read as: the time is passing quickly when the 'free' moments will no longer be here and it'll be back to the routine grind).

Why is there such a lack of execution?  Great question.  It's a bit of a double edged sword here.  I know that going to do something would be fruitful.  I just... don't want to.  And then, frustration sets in because this time is so valuable and it feels like I'm just wasting it.  Conflicted much? <sarcasm>

Is this a small part of the holiday funk that others have talked about?  Is this how things are going to be right now?  This whole, "what do I do with my time that was otherwise occupied in previous years?".  Look, I know that this too shall pass... everything does... but, I honestly do not enjoy this at all.  One of the things I miss more and more is having my person here.  The one who knows all of this about me (the fact that I don't do well when left on my own with no task list or overview of events).  She was always so good at intercepting me before these moments got here and would hit me with a couple of things to do or questions to answer and then would turn me loose.  I miss that.

I've got a few more days after Christmas where my kids will be in Texas still with Honey and Poppa.  I'll have yet another opportunity to go and do something or handle business without having to worry about the kids.  It's another opportunity to grow in an area that I never wanted to.  </end therapeutic release of thoughts that have taken up too much real estate in my mind for the past week>

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Here We Are

I've tried to sit down and write this post about three times.  Every time I make it about a solid paragraph in and I scrap it to start over.  The first pass was already going to be really long winded and detailed.  The second was a little better, but opened the door for about a million rabbit trails to take. I think I've settled on the following for both time and posterity; back to a stream of consciousness brain dump... at least you know you're getting the freshest content. :) Ash was a gentle (most of the time :) ), compassionate heartbeat.  She had this unwavering focus to point others to Jesus.  She loved deeply  and had this ability to meet anyone where they were and pull them in.  She knew me better than anyone and (even in spite of that :) ), she loved me.  She was a tender-hearted mother that loved her girls more than most anything else.  She was passionate for caring for children (summers in other countries working in orphanages, working preschool ministry, her car

Merciful Rest

Today. May 14, 2022. A day that'll be etched into my memory for the rest of my life. It's the day my wife died. It's the day that holds moments that hurt worse than anything I've felt before. It's also the day that has brought some of the greatest episodes of hope I've ever seen. The past 72 hours have been some of the most rigorous as a caretaker.  These day have reminded me so very much of where we began this journey four and a half years ago in the ICU at UAB after her surgery, though, with one major difference... during those days I prayed earnestly for my wife to be saved and to recover.  These past few days have been filled with nothing but prayers of thankfulness and for mercy. I didn't sleep Thursday into Friday.  Ash required medications every hour and she was already showing signs of getting ready to leave her earthly body.  So aside from 15 minutes here and 20 minutes there... I embraced my former collegiate life and pulled an all-nighter. (Defini

Unexpectedly Expected

Good Evening- **Disclaimer: I'm an engineer.  I'm not a writer.  I did not major in English.  I prefer a mix of stream of consciousness and storytelling  as opposed to a formal MLA style paper.  If that really bothers you, I'm sorry and you will struggle through my posts.** Originally, I thought this would be the best medium to distribute information about the journey we are on.  I was wrong.  Even though it seems the sporadic updates I've gotten today have felt fewer and farther between than I would have liked, it all really came at a speed that was too fast to distribute through this blog. So, I imagine going forward this may be used as a milestone platform.  There will be honest, blunt communication of what's going on.  There will also be some behind-the-scenes analysis of everything.  I can't promise these will be short posts, but I can promise they'll be real and they'll be raw. So, let's start with today.  October 24, 2017 .  A